Tool storage on a cruiser stern boat?

KirraMisha

Featured Posts

Hi I wondered where people who have cruiser sterns manage to store their toolbox,paint and all other kinds of bits and bobs that dont go anywhere else that you want out the way.

For example I have been seriously thinking about a trad stern boat as you can have a little storage space shut away near the engine enclousure.

But because I have a motorbike I am worried getting it on a trad stern will be very troublesome compared to a cruiser stern.

thanks.

Hi I wondered where people who have cruiser sterns manage to store their toolbox,paint and all other kinds of bits and bobs that dont go anywhere else that you want out the way.

For example I have been seriously thinking about a trad stern boat as you can have a little storage space shut away near the engine enclousure.

But because I have a motorbike I am worried getting it on a trad stern will be very troublesome compared to a cruiser stern.

thanks.s

We have a semi-trad boat not cruiser but from a storage perspective effectively the same. I keep the tools on the boat under the rear cabin steps the tops of which lift off. I keep other stuff in a plastic storage box box under the stern hatches.

The problem I has was I once managed to fill it with water whilst coming down short locks so you have to think carefully about where it sits under the deck....

Thanks Chris.

Do you know of any examples of this anywhere please?

How is it kept upright and from falling off the plank for example when moving the boat?

It is actually a small Honda Dax monkey bike so not exactly like a full size motorbike.

thanks.

I used to do this. put the plank from gunwhale to gunwhale so the bike stood upright slightly leaning on the cabin roof. I then ratchet strapped down to rings on the gunwhales just astern of the forward bulkhead.

Does mean the front doors were out of action but it worked a treat.

I used to do this. put the plank from gunwhale to gunwhale so the bike stood upright slightly leaning on the cabin roof. I then ratchet strapped down to rings on the gunwhales just astern of the forward bulkhead.

Does mean the front doors were out of action but it worked a treat.

Interesting idea Chris thanks.

Has anyone every tried to nick the bike off the boat?

When you were moored where did you leave the bike then?

thanks.

We have a semi-trad boat not cruiser but from a storage perspective effectively the same. I keep the tools on the boat under the rear cabin steps the tops of which lift off. I keep other stuff in a plastic storage box box under the stern hatches.

The problem I has was I once managed to fill it with water whilst coming down short locks so you have to think carefully about where it sits under the deck....

Oh no lol dont confuse me even more I thought I had ruled out the semi trad!

thanks.

Oh no lol dont confuse me even more I thought I had ruled out the semi trad!

Nowt to get confused about - it's akin to a cruiser stern but with walls at each side.

One thing I dont understand is boat builders charge more for them though!

Do cruisers get more water in the engine bay if they do not have a pram hood or rain cover?

Some do, some don't - Stillwater NB's don't for example.

Generally yes semi's and cruisers that don't have a hood that fully enclose the stern will get more water in the bilge.

thanks.

no, never. It would be a brave thief that tried to wheel a motorbike off a boat with the steering lock on.

...on the bank, chained up. or on a nearby road (like my current bike which is much too big to wheel on and off a boat)

(you'll get used to living so close to the general public - they are mostly harmless)

Nowt to get confused about - it's akin to a cruiser stern but with walls at each side.

No it's not. It's akin to a trad stern with some roof missing.

Do cruisers get more water in the engine bay if they do not have a pram hood or rain cover?

There are drainage channels between the deck boards

thanks.

A trad stern is the way to go in terms of storage space, but you're not really supposed to keep paint in the engine space whether it's a cruiser or a trad.

I agree! The step to the bow doors has a tool box in it, very handy, and the paint, brushes, rollers etc live in a cupboard, under what we use as a wardrobe, all nice and dry. I wouldn't store paint in the stern/engine bay, it could all go bang.

Edited by skywatcher

I never knew about the paint not going in the engine space, guess I will have to put that elsewhere.

Where do people store a generator on a Trad stern?

thanks.

Some people on this forum will tell you that they never store paint in their engine space and they always run a petrol generator on the bank and keep the generator in it's own dedicated gas-tight locker when not in use. They'll also tell you that the only thing stored in their gas locker are the gas bottles. Just bear in mind they're probably lying! :P

Edited by blackrose