Abandoning bricks altogether

seawitch

Featured Posts

I'm 41 now, and for 17 of those years I owned a house. A divorce cost me the house, but in many ways I've never been happier. I can afford to rent a really nice place and I can move if I get bored with it. I'm not on the cut yet, because two successive holidays in torrential rain have not convinced my partner. I shall wait until she dies and use the life insurance to buy the boat. She wishes me to tell you that the plan is flawed as I am 9 years older, but theres always the hair dryer in the bath :-).

But I'm always interested in the rent vs buy discussion which does indeed seem to be all about retirement. Worth mentioning a story in our local paper about a woman who was deemed to be in need of care and had savings. They decided she needed round the clock care, and she wanted this to be in her own home. They provided this service until the money ran out, then reassessed her and decided that, even though she was now less mobile than she had been, she could make do with a carer visiting once a day to put her to bed at 7pm.

Whether this should encourage us to save more or merely accept that the state will abuse us after a lifetime of paying tax I don't know. But I think there is a lot to be said for living life. A big pension pot can't be collected when you are dead.

James.

I used to love starting up my fathers primus blow lamp and melting down pieces of lead. Maybe I am brain danaged after inhaling all the fumes?

How did they pulse the V1 engine the ?

Yes the V1 Doodlebug or Buzz bomb had a crude form of petrol jet engine. the combustion and jet outlet unit was fixed on the top of the bomb. In the forward facing air intake on the jet unit was like a Venetian blind with all the blades hinged.

Petrol was injected into the open combustion chamber with the venetian blind closed,the petrol was ignited which caused a power thrust out of the read nozzle this caused a sudden vacuum which caused the venetian blind to momentarily open letting in more oxygen for the next combustion and thrust,this process occurred rapidly,and was not a continuous thrust like a conventional Whittle type jet engine ''gas turbine''.

The rapid throbs of separate combustions coupled with the rapid opening and closing of the Venetian blind air intake''fluttering'' caused the weird pulsing sound of its exhaust. Once started ''petrol ignited'' it was an ongoing self igniting pulse process which continued until the petrol ran out.

"A big pension pot can't be collected when you are dead."

That's very true , I used to work for BT for many a year where I got to know many different people , I was shocked at how many popped their clogs within a year of retirement ( a lot after early retirement in their 50's )

"A big pension pot can't be collected when you are dead."

That's very true , I used to work for BT for many a year where I got to know many different people , I was shocked at how many popped their clogs within a year of retirement ( a lot after early retirement in their 50's )

Very true indeed but it can provide a degree of financial security for a spouse after you are gone. Subject of course to the terms of the pension in question.

Yes the V1 Doodlebug or Buzz bomb had a crude form of petrol jet engine. the combustion and jet outlet unit was fixed on the top of the bomb. In the forward facing air intake on the jet unit was like a Venetian blind with all the blades hinged.

Petrol was injected into the open combustion chamber with the venetian blind closed,the petrol was ignited which caused a power thrust out of the read nozzle this caused a sudden vacuum which caused the venetian blind to momentarily open letting in more oxygen for the next combustion and thrust,this process occurred rapidly,and was not a continuous thrust like a conventional Whittle type jet engine ''gas turbine''.

The rapid throbs of separate combustions coupled with the rapid opening and closing of the Venetian blind air intake''fluttering'' caused the weird pulsing sound of its exhaust. Once started ''petrol ignited'' it was an ongoing self igniting pulse process which continued until the petrol ran out.

I never knew my dads mum and dad 'grand parents',as they were both killed in their home in London by a V1 flying bomb during WW2.

During the war;--------------------------.

Anyway thats another story.By the way its says you are moored at Bishops Stortford.A boat I built a couple of years ago is moored at the marina at pig lane,near the lock.It is called THE IRON DUKE do you know it?

Anyway thats another story.By the way its says you are moored at Bishops Stortford.A boat I built a couple of years ago is moored at the marina at pig lane,near the lock.It is called THE IRON DUKE do you know it?

Yes a w/beam its here just along from me.A chap called Paul owns it.

Yes a w/beam its here just along from me.A chap called Paul owns it.

Yep real nice chap.I was down there a while ago fitting a stainless steel insulated flue,quite like the moorings there.

Edited by bowten