Buckingham 21 - stupid question

Lindy500

Featured Posts

Hi

We are very new to boating, and have just bought what we believe to be a Buckingham 21, and we have a very stupid question.

We took the old lino flooring up, and the floor was very wet underneath, and we discovered a small 1" hole in the floor just by the galley. The water level was visible, and about level with the floor. The boat is still on a trailer, so a natural assumption would be that it slopped over in transportation.

We decided that we should pump it out, thinking that it shouldn't be in there, but after 25 litres we wondered if, in fact, it should be there after all. The water obviously wasn't dirty river water, as in the bilges, but a sort of clear browny colour.

Does anybody know if the Buckingham has water ballast tanks, and how full they should be? How do you know how much is in there, given that we've pumped 25 litres out?

Thanks in anticipation! We are planning to slip it very soon, so are anxious to know what it's there for

If you have standing water while your boat is on a trailer this is a good sign.

If the hull is holding water, on the trailer, then it will keep the water out, when it is floating.

It is probably just rainwater that has discoloured whilst filtering through the manky old lino.

If the hull is holding water, on the trailer, then it will keep the water out, when it is floating.

It is probably just rainwater that has discoloured whilst filtering through the manky old lino.

Ha! Good point about if it holds water whilst on a trailer, it will keep water out! Never thought of that one, and I'm liking the idea.

I think I'm happy about it just being rainwater that's got in, so thank you for your reply, I appreciate it

Your boat certainly isn't leaking, but the water probably shouldn't be there.

Two causes, the boat will have two skins and water can get between them either by finding a gap between the skins (leaking window frames) or by condensation gathering. It usually takes years for a significant build up.

This weekend I've got to evict an estimated fifty gallons or so from Juno, as it is making her squat low in the water which means the engine exhaust relief pipe is under water (the main exhaust is under water, but a relief pipe above water ensures exhaust can escape when the back pressure is not enough to blow bubbles)

Does that not only hold true though if the water has emptied to a level just below where it came in?? ie any breach in the hull could be between the waterline and the point to where the water level now is...

Not trying to scare the OP - just checking before they drop it in....

Edited by MJG

Two causes, the boat will have two skins and water can get between them either by finding a gap between the skins (leaking window frames) or by condensation gathering. It usually takes years for a significant build up.

Or a leaky hood, which could take a few weeks or less...

Does that not only hold true though if the water has emptied to a level just below where it came in?? ie any breach in the hull could be between the waterline and the point to where the water level now is...

Not trying to scare the OP - just checking before they drop it in....

Yes but a Buckingham 21 will float on a damp lawn.

Draught is measured in inches, not feet.

Or a leaky hood, which could take a few weeks or less...

Yes but a Buckingham 21 will float on a damp lawn.

Draught is measured in inches, not feet.

Cheers

Rain water, snow melt and condensation are the most likely source of inboard water in a boat on a trailer. Once you have dried it out, visually inspect the hull then put it in the water and LOOK carefully! If it stays dry for the first hour then it should stay dry longer, if not put the trailer back under it quickly!

Well, we pumped about 30 litres out in total. I'm going to ignore the bit about water getting between the 2 skins, because I don't like that idea! The canopy definitely leaks,so I guess it's likely to be the rainwater theory. Hopefully we'll get her on the water within the next week or so, but I'll make sure I've got a mask and snorkel just in case.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions (except for the ones I don't like!! :o ) I'll let you know how long we floated for!

Edited by Lindy500

A lot of small crusier have holes in the floor at various points to do exactly what you have done, pump water out.

Who knows how it got there probably rain water.

My suggestion would be to monitor it for a period of weeks you will soon come to your own conclusion where its coming from and how much to worry about it.

If you get too worried you could fit an automatic bilge pump.

Chances are it will just be rain water from the leaking canopy. Small outboard driven boats dotn tend to have many through hull fittings where water could seep into the boat and the outboard mounting should be high enough not to be of concern so barring fresh water or shower sump leaks your boat should stay dry.

If it is all bailed out now get the canopy patched up to stop it leaking and monitor the bilge for a few months just to put your mind at ease. Most of all enjoy your boat :cheers:

By the way some friends of ours started out with a Buckingham 21 and they reckoned it was a great little boat, very easy to handle and live with. IIRC it was called September Morn. :cheers:

I own a Buckingham aswell mines a 27footer, she has her up's and down's like most..but she has done me and my daughter proud whilst out cruising....went aground a few times, lost a prop, but friends off here and the helpfulness of my neighbours at the marina i'm moored at, have kept us going....

Plz let me know how you get on and if you need any advice, not that I can give you much as a newbie myself! I am more than happy to try and help, good luck and best wishies for your launch

Regards

Rachel xxx

• 2 weeks later...