GU Milton Keynes to Roydon,River stort

quincey

Featured Posts

Hello all,

we are going to cruise down to London, through to the Lea navigation and finish up at Roydon or thereabouts (hopefully long before the start of the olympics)and would appreciate any advice on the trip such as places to moor up for the night as well as places not to moor up and anything else that may be of use.

thanks

Quincey

Hello all,

we are going to cruise down to London, through to the Lea navigation and finish up at Roydon or thereabouts (hopefully long before the start of the olympics)and would appreciate any advice on the trip such as places to moor up for the night as well as places not to moor up and anything else that may be of use.

thanks

Quincey

Probably best not to say when you're going.You've told everyone where you live, and nere do wells might guess your house will be empty.

Hello all,

thanks

Quincey

Remove your address from your profile details please!

Probably best not to say when you're going.You've told everyone where you live, and nere do wells might guess your house will be empty.

thats a computer dumbo for you,any advice on how to remove my address

Go onto your profile by clicking your name, and then top right you'll see an editing button. Click and you're in to change.

Go onto your profile by clicking your name, and then top right you'll see an editing button. Click and you're in to change.

thanks 'mary p' i really shouldn't be left alone with this thing,where are the kids when you need them.thanks again

thanks 'mary p' i really shouldn't be left alone with this thing,where are the kids when you need them.thanks again

That's OK. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Check on stoppages for water shortages, as this will be a problem this year in the S.E. How long are you intending to take for the trip?

That's OK. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Check on stoppages for water shortages, as this will be a problem this year in the S.E. How long are you intending to take for the trip?

we expect it to take about three weeks or so,we are in no rush(apart from getting through before the olympics start) we will probably stay around that area for some time(so that i can keep an eye on my house that everybody now knows about)

Just watch where you moor going through London - there are definitely places to avoid. Once you are past the M25 outbound, its pretty safe. Enjoy.

Roydon is a nice marina but a pig when the wind blows hard - its 25ft deep and poles don't touch the bottom.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Plenty of nice places to moor on the way south towards London e.g. Berkhamstead, Apsley, Winkwell, Grove park, Rickmansworth, Cowley, Bulls Bridge - all good. In London, Kensal Green is good and Paddington too if they haven't started the olympic rip off charging yet. I would make time to go to Limehouse rather than take the Ducketts cut. Good safe moorings in Limehouse basin and from there you can easily get to safe moorings up the Lea in one day. On the Lea quite a few good spots including just N of Enfield, Waltham Abbey and Broxbourne. If you haven't been before I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised most of the way.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Watch the footbridge heights after rain on the Stort towards Roydon. It varies a lot in bad weather. Pete is the Manager at Roydon. Don't forget Dobbs weir has a pub with mooring, food can be er differing standards and remember your gang plank for you'll surely need it on Lea after Dobbs weir and the Stort.

Watch the footbridge heights after rain on the Stort towards Roydon. It varies a lot in bad weather. Pete is the Manager at Roydon. Don't forget Dobbs weir has a pub with mooring, food can be er differing standards and remember your gang plank for you'll surely need it on Lea after Dobbs weir and the Stort.

I never used my gangplank on the Lea or the Stort. There are only a couple of bridges on the Stort after leaving the Lea Navigation and Fieldes Wier tends to take a lot of water pretty quickly from the bottom of the Stort so there isn't usually any problems unless you go past Roydon and start challenging the Rail Bridge or Keksy's rail bridge near Sawbridgeworth.

It's a lovely cruise from MK and well worth taking time over.

Plan a good long day from Little Venice/Paddington as there are never any free moorings before Limehouse or actually turning onto Ducketts.

I used to enjoy Stonebridge Lock(allegedly bandit territory!!) and also Waltham Abbey, Cheshunt and the Broxbourne are lovely moorings too.