K & A Bath

J R

Featured Posts

As of today, the 5th of March, the K & A in Bath is closed from Sydney Wharf (Bath Narrowboats/Bridge 188) and Lock 7 that goes onto the river Avon. A dam is being built at Sydney Wharf accross the canal, to be finished tomorrow, and then the water will be drained out for work on the stonework of the various bridges and the lock sides and walls. The stoppage is due to end on the 30th of March. (I am led to believe that as the draing happens, a professional fish catcher will spend four days engaged in catching the little things and transfering them into the watered section of the canal so that they don't end up in the river). The canal is open from Sydney Wharf going East.

I have taken some photos and will post them when I can, assuming I can remember how to do it.

As a postscript, BW is using the same systen that failed somtime ago in Glouster; would hate to think that 9 miles of water dissapears if the same thing happens again!

Will update as and when.

Are you moored near us then?

Semington Locks were drained when I visited them last Wednesday, I wish I'd had my camera because the draining clearly demonstrated the canal is silted up to well over the half way mark.

They were doing the fish rescue bit, it's not about them ending up in the river, it's about the fish ending up in isolated ponds near locks that then get drained, and the impellers in the pump don't do them any good...

As of today, the 5th of March, the K & A in Bath is closed from Sydney Wharf (Bath Narrowboats/Bridge 188) and Lock 7 that goes onto the river Avon. A dam is being built at Sydney Wharf accross the canal, to be finished tomorrow, and then the water will be drained out for work on the stonework of the various bridges and the lock sides and walls. The stoppage is due to end on the 30th of March. (I am led to believe that as the draing happens, a professional fish catcher will spend four days engaged in catching the little things and transfering them into the watered section of the canal so that they don't end up in the river). The canal is open from Sydney Wharf going East.

I have taken some photos and will post them when I can, assuming I can remember how to do it.

As a postscript, BW is using the same systen that failed somtime ago in Glouster; would hate to think that 9 miles of water dissapears if the same thing happens again!

Will update as and when.

Wonder what they'll do with all the windlasses they find. Including mine! :blush:

Are you moored near us then?

Semington Locks were drained when I visited them last Wednesday, I wish I'd had my camera because the draining clearly demonstrated the canal is silted up to well over the half way mark.

They were doing the fish rescue bit, it's not about them ending up in the river, it's about the fish ending up in isolated ponds near locks that then get drained, and the impellers in the pump don't do them any good...

Good point on the pesticorial point and the pumps. Look forward to them finding my mobile phone!

ps: Whats the scrap value for windlasses nowadays :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the closure. BW have been working on the bridges, lock walls, reinforcing adjacent walls, repairing lock gates and lock gear etc, 7 days a week since this closure. they have had some pretty heavy equipment down here. It is anticipated that they will reopen the canal from Friday whether or not they have completed the work or not it has been said. Looking at some of the dereliction to some parts since the water was drained out they would be better to carry on with repairs imo. The canal is currently closed from Bridege 188 Sydney Wharf, where there is a dam, down to the river. Will post when its open again.

It's not dredging that pound needs, it gets scoured by the water flow although there are a few rocks. It's water management. The deep lock takes twice as much water and without management the pound above can't cope. Never try going uphill late on a busy holiday afternoon.

Mind you could always put your wells on and get in and haul out a few rocks.

It's not dredging that pound needs, it gets scoured by the water flow although there are a few rocks. It's water management. The deep lock takes twice as much water and without management the pound above can't cope. Never try going uphill late on a busy holiday afternoon.

Mind you could always put your wells on and get in and haul out a few rocks.

When that lock was built, at the behest of the then Bath Corporation to allow them to build a new road to move cars from one queue to another more quickly, the problem of a very deep lock for water balance was pointed out, and they fitted a pump to pump some of the water back from the lower pound. It is supposed to operate when a float switch demands it.

If the lock is worked about once an hour, then assuming local streams are running, it isn't a problem as they carry enough water to compensate. However, the pump has now failed and Bath and North East Somerset couldn't give a toss. They love having boaters make shop and pub tills go "kerching", but don't want to spend even a fiver on provision for them.

Bath and North East Somerset, otherwise known as BANES, the BANES of our lives...

At the time of writing, the section of the canal between the dam at Sydney Wharf and the nearest lock a few hundred yards away (Lock 13) is now half full. Spoke the the 'man' from BW earlier who thought that it should be full by Friday morning so that the dam structure can be removed. The pounds below Lock 13 will then be filled down to the river.

It is therefor probable that the section will not be be open for navigation until very late Friday, but certainly by Saturday morning.

At the time of writing, the section of the canal between the dam at Sydney Wharf and the nearest lock a few hundred yards away (Lock 13) is now half full. Spoke the the 'man' from BW earlier who thought that it should be full by Friday morning so that the dam structure can be removed. The pounds below Lock 13 will then be filled down to the river.

It is therefor probable that the section will not be be open for navigation until very late Friday, but certainly by Saturday morning.

The dam was removed earlier. Much work was continuing down at Bath Deep Lock with a large crane, concrete lorry etc. It looks like its all open from am Saturday.

But, and there is always a but, BW have been unable to complete work on Lock 10 quoines to prevent water loss and are thinking of a closure from the 16th of April for a short period. Time will tell, but its all open for now.