Guide to Buying a Historic Narrowboat

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

The name of this boat is ASTER. I am surprised the two clue's of this boat being built in 1932 and it having a Salvation Army connection have not given its identity away

ah well off my game at the min alot on my mind a pre convertion pic here http://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/photos_of_fmc_boats.htm

Hmmm !!!, you were very sceptical of this when I told you about 5 years ago. Does this mean you have found some more information ?

I'm not sure that I follow this.

We have always known it was the engine from Aster since we bought it in C1974.

It even has, not proof in itself, the well worn injector wheel inscribed 'Aster'.

From Aster it went into Avon, and then to us.

Tim

I'm not sure that I follow this.

We have always known it was the engine from Aster since we bought it in C1974.

It even has, not proof in itself, the well worn injector wheel inscribed 'Aster'.

From Aster it went into Avon, and then to us.

Tim

Perhaps I spoke with your brother, but either way when I suggested (at Ellesmere Port about 5 years ago) that RUDD's Bolinder had come out of ASTER my comments were considered with scepticism and were I felt dismissed. My suggestion was based on research, which includes speaking with previous owners and studying private collections of 'enthusiast' observations and other records. I am aware that this engine was previously in AVON and sold to yourselves in 1974 (fitted into the modern hulled BADGER).

I do have the serial number of the Bolinder originally fitted into ASTER (from F.M.C. Ltd. records), and I have not seen any evidence that this engine was ever removed prior to it going into AVON. Does your engine retain its engine serial number plate ?

The plate was missing when we bought the engine, so we made a replica. We bought the engine from a chap, an architect, in Fillongly, he had another, and a Bugatti!

Tim