Spot the difference

JerryP

Featured Posts

It clearly is a big leak. I watched attempts to pump out Fresia yesterday. Two 3" pumps going full bore failed to shift her; I'm told the water inside went down 1" at most, and from outside I could see no movement at all. I reckon they need at least one more pump to stand any chance of raising her. Apparently there's a leak in her and she was depending on electric pumps to keep her afloat. On the night she sank the electricity supply was interrupted for a time and down she went.

JerryP, did you spot the other recent change there? Another long staying boat has disappeared entirely. The barge Wey, which has been moored in the lock cut for many years, was finally shifted by BW last week after a Section 8 had been served.

I didn't see it go, but was told that it took something like 3 BW staff, a boat surveyor, a tug and another boat to shift it. The boats used were apparently brought by low loader from Chester, and taken back there the same way after.

One wonders at how cost effective this was! Wey is now apparently tied to the old sugar beet wharf a short way down river from Holme Lock, where it is at risk from fluctuations in river levels. It is leaking and used to be pumped out occasionally by one of the long term moorers, but I guess he won't be able to do that where it has been taken now. Is BW going to do this instead?

The barge must have a value, even as scrap, but it won't be easy to recover that value if it sinks where it now lies.

JerryP, did you spot the other recent change there? Another long staying boat has disappeared entirely. The barge Wey, which has been moored in the lock cut for many years, was finally shifted by BW last week after a Section 8 had been served.

The barge must have a value, even as scrap, but it won't be easy to recover that value if it sinks where it now lies.

from what i've been told the moving of barge Wey was a right fiasco with lots of men in white hard hats running around pointing and shouting

I thought the difference was the missing chimney of the boat in the foreground.

Martyn

i knew someone would spot that Martyn ,thats why i said "spot the MAJOR difference" ;)