Ballast options

GSer

Featured Posts

I also will be needing some extra ballast. A friend has a large quantity of concrete railway sleepers, very very heavy in deed, would these be a good option do you think. they would be a bitch to man handle though as they are i think 6 foot long and weigh im guessing 300kg each.

I also will be needing some extra ballast. A friend has a large quantity of concrete railway sleepers, very very heavy in deed, would these be a good option do you think. they would be a bitch to man handle though as they are i think 6 foot long and weigh im guessing 300kg each.

Err - - I think not - - - I'd have thought that having ballast in 20-30 Kg lumps gives you an optimum between handling and weight and therefore offers flexibility of placement around your boat

Batteries..... makes ideal ballast and you can use them too

That is a very good suggestion, i could shift the battery bank to stb and fit the hurricane heater where the batteries are now, lead length to the isolators would stretch a bit, but not excessively, that would shift the weight of 6 x 110ah to stb and give me a little underfloor storage for the heavy side.

I need to have a measure up

That is a very good suggestion, i could shift the battery bank to stb and fit the hurricane heater where the batteries are now, lead length to the isolators would stretch a bit, but not excessively, that would shift the weight of 6 x 110ah to stb and give me a little underfloor storage for the heavy side.

I need to have a measure up

Glad you think so. It was a serious one.

I had a bit of a list to port. Rang up Vince (when he had his £25 a pop batteries) and got a couple from him. Put them under the floor on the starboard side and it cured the list as well as increasing the domestic bank (which needed doing as well).

Job done :)

Glad you think so. It was a serious one.

I had a bit of a list to port. Rang up Vince (when he had his £25 a pop batteries) and got a couple from him. Put them under the floor on the starboard side and it cured the list as well as increasing the domestic bank (which needed doing as well).

Job done :)

My domesti bank is plenty big enough, so just moving it could work, the added benifit of moving weight from port to starbord is that it effectivly doubles the weight moved.

Paul