overnight mooring in Bedworth or Nuneaton

hvdb

Featured Posts

In a couple of weeks time we'll have to leave the boat overnight (just the one night) in the Bedworth/Nuneaton area.

Having heard some unfavorable stories about this area I worry whether it is wise decision to leave the boat on a visitor mooring along the towpath.

What would you do, are there safe moorings or are we better off in a marina, and if so which one?

We will be using a taxi as means of transport, so the mooring must be near a road.

Helen

In a couple of weeks time we'll have to leave the boat overnight (just the one night) in the Bedworth/Nuneaton area.

Having heard some unfavorable stories about this area I worry whether it is wise decision to leave the boat on a visitor mooring along the towpath.

What would you do, are there safe moorings or are we better off in a marina, and if so which one?

We will be using a taxi as means of transport, so the mooring must be near a road.

Helen

When we left out boat in that area for 5 days in 2010 we left it at Springwood Haven - very helpful too they were, I can't recall the cost but it don't think it was expensive.

http://www.springwoodhaven.co.uk/

When we left out boat in that area for 5 days in 2010 we left it at Springwood Haven - very helpful too they were, I can't recall the cost but it don't think it was expensive.

http://www.springwoodhaven.co.uk/

We've moored opposite Boot Yard in Nuneaton without a problem, they might be able to find a space for you on their side though (for cash).

Helen

We live in Nuneaton,its really not so bad....and happy to give you a lift if just localish,save the taxi fare.

Ian.

Another option is a short trip up the Ashby and leave it by the lime kilns pub just before the A5. We were moored there a while ago and there were liveaboards on the off side so there was someone around. On the way back you can wind at Hinckley wharf so the trips not too far out of your way.

Helen

I have to say we were worried about mooring overnight in Nuneaton a couple of years ago on our way back up from the Oxford, but tiredness forced us to stop just below Bridge 21 in the town. Apart fom what seemed like the almost constant noise of emergency vehicle sirens, no problems at all.

We stopped there overnight again (by choice) last year as well.

Tony and Jenny

I have to say we were worried about mooring overnight in Nuneaton a couple of years ago on our way back up from the Oxford, but tiredness forced us to stop just below Bridge 21 in the town. Apart fom what seemed like the almost constant noise of emergency vehicle sirens, no problems at all.

We stopped there overnight again (by choice) last year as well.

Tony and Jenny

Further to this post. I have travelled most of the country on my boat over the last 20 odd years and stayed in more " Bandit Country " locations than you can shake a stick at. We have never had any problems, anywhere. I think its a fact that bad news travels faster than good and in reality problems with your boat are very very rare. :cheers:

Helen

Personally l think as you have concerns about mooring your boat,you have done more harm than good telling the world where and when you intend to leave it and for how long and also the name of it. :(

14skipper

Personally l think as you have concerns about mooring your boat,you have done more harm than good telling the world where and when you intend to leave it and for how long and also the name of it. :(

14skipper

The OP was not really specific as to exactly where and when.

Tony and Jenny

The OP was not really specific as to exactly where and when.

Tony and Jenny

Precisely..... no need to alarm them at all by suggesting they have put their boat at increased risk.

perhaps if you were to read the OP you will see that they were already concerned hence their posting.

14skipper

Of course I read it and yes I see they were concerned - your post however only served to increase that concern not diminish it....

A friend of mine dropped his brand new iPhone on the towpath in Nuneaton whilst helping us move Chertsey. It was handed in to the police and he had it back within hours. Also, a man digging his allotment shouted out as we went past, and threw us a bag of potatoes he'd just harvested. So if individual experience counts for anything, Nuneaton is one of the most honest and generous places in the country. And when we had Warrior, we had the best pumpout ever at Springwood Haven. Honestly, what more could you ask?

Thank you all for your replies and your suggestions for good moorings and the kind offer of a lift.

I've marked the locations of the moorings in Nicholsons for future use.

Perhaps I have listened to the wrong people, we were warned about other places as well, and we never had problems, just slept a bit lighter.

Thanks again,

Helen