Unusual Stove Identification

LeeW

Featured Posts

I'm a relatively new boater and am trying to identify the stove that is installed on my boat as I've never seen anything like it before. The last of the three pictures shows AGA No 140B inside the lid but I've been unable to identify that as a model from AGA (I know the older models can be a challenge to identify though so somebody may be able to correct me...)

I'm trying to find out some more about it as the stove itself seems to give out very little heat directly which is a problem in the cold weather. You can sit on top of the stove when it is going which makes for a nice toasty seat but certainly falls short of being able to boil a kettle as is possible with a squirrel etc. The stove powers two gravity radiators reasonably well (though I suspect it would be more efficient if the header tank for this was at the far end of the run rather than near the fire) and it has been suggested to me via twitter that this might not be a stove at all and actually be a solid fuel water heater.

Any help on the stove/boiler would be appreciated, I was anticipating a wonderfully warm fire based on it's size however so far have been a little disappointed.

61da4cb06d2a926b576f99eb544f2dab7e336cae_wmeg_00001.jpg7fa35154c85fe1faf1499ef7947fb0b471e873de_wmeg_00001.jpgc9f920ff26b208519f6b92187f509fc3f5bc17b1_wmeg_00001.jpg

Because it was built as a stove to run central heating and/ or hot water, it was designed NOT to exude heat, thus making it more efficient at doing its job - but much LESS efficient at doing the job you want it to! We had one similar (different make but also with exterior panelling) in our first boat, the only way we could get it to produce meaningful room heat was to leave its front door open.

Perhaps removing the external panels would help.

As it's made by Aga, selling it and buying a proper stove may well prove more profitable.

Had wondered that - though it's possibly the ugly duckling of the Aga family - certainly without its panels it's a bit utilitarian!

Thanks for the feedback, I've considered stumping up for a new proper stove though as the cost is fairly similar to a diesel air heater for which the boat is already ducted I wonder if that might be the more effective investment to work alongside the existing stove, especially as my work often means I'm not aboard consistently and that is a bit more instant than a solid fuel stove.

Had wondered that - though it's possibly the ugly duckling of the Aga family - certainly without its panels it's a bit utilitarian!

That's because it should be in the outhouse, driving the radiators.

It's still going to be Aga quality, though.

Do you think it has antique value, Mr. T?

I don't think it's that old but I can't find any reference to an Aga central heating boiler anywhere so I don't really know.

It certainly isn't pretty enough for display but, as I said, it should be top quality.

Edited by carlt

I don't think it's that old but I can't find any reference to an Aga central heating boiler anywhere so I don't really know.

It certainly isn't pretty enough for display but, as I said, it should be top quality.

They used to make an 'Agathermic' boiler, from what I remember it was designed to match the 'Agathermic' cooker which was a cottage-sized version of the traditional solid fuel Aga. I used to have an Agathermic cooker on the Themis, much more suitable for a Narrow Boat than a full-sized Aga but unfortunately obsolete & not supported by Aga even then (25 years ago).

For the benefit of people who don't know Aga cookers & wonder why a separate boiler might be needed, Agas unlike Rayburns only ever had a 'hot water' boiler if any at all, & won't heat radiators (beyond perhaps a bathroom towel rail).

I couldn't tell you whether the Op's boiler is one of those, though.

Tim

I'm a relatively new boater and am trying to identify the stove that is installed on my boat as I've never seen anything like it before. The last of the three pictures shows AGA No 140B inside the lid but I've been unable to identify that as a model from AGA (I know the older models can be a challenge to identify though so somebody may be able to correct me...)

Email AGA/Rayburn they are very helpful.

They used to make an 'Agathermic' boiler, from what I remember it was designed to match the 'Agathermic' cooker which was a cottage-sized version of the traditional solid fuel Aga.

I found this one, too, the Agamatic, which is pretty enough to sit next to the range, though.

Clicky

Edited by carlt

• 8 months later...

Hi. I came across your mention of the water heater while googling for just this type of boiler, ie radiator output with little or no contact heat. I tried to email you but this forum would not let me and I realise that this is an old topic for you. If you still have this heater and it is for sale I am very interested, I've searched for weeks and this is the first that I've found apart from one in India. My address is beron@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers

Ronjo

Welcome to the forum cannot help with the boiler etc but you may wish to edit your e-mail, change the @ to [at] it will stop the spybots getting your address.

Edited by bottle

Ronjo

Welcome to the forum cannot help with the boiler etc but you may wish to edit your e-mail, change the @ to [at] it will stop the spybots getting your address.

You got your Edith in so quickly there was no time to sort out a witty response.

Not sure but it maybe to do with you not having made five posts the same as PM (Private Message)

You got your Edith in so quickly there was no time to sort out a witty response.

For once I was quicker than Carlt :cloud9: