How do I get to ... Sheffield?

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

The BW maximum craft dimensions document (Word format) that I downloaded from Waterscape, but can never actually manage to find to link to gives......

Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation

Rotherham to Sheffield

Absolute Maximum: 61' 6"

but adds a footnote......

Additional Cruising notes:

1. Locks from Rotherham to tail of Tinsley flight are longer and will pass narrow boats up to about 70ft.

Grand Union boats can get to the foot of Tinsley flight but no further. However, the locks are short and will only pass a GU boat when facing uphill. It was covered in a Waterways World article, about 20 years ago, entitled "Taking a Bath in Yorkshire", and is an account of the travels of the GU boats 'Bath' and 'Saltaire'.

Ah, I was almost on the right lines then. I did not expect such a small place to have two extant stations.

Small but perfectly formed!

I live in Hyde, which if you consider the pre-74 borough as the frame of reference has a quite shocking number of stations.

It may well be worth looking at commuting from The Erewash - If there are moorings there?

I found mooring providers on the Erewash were rather tardy at answering their phone but there was space at Beeston when I looked in that direction.