HELMSMAN COURSES

ex-member200218

Featured Posts

We used Andrew Phasey, who is based at St Pancras Cruising Club, he's a qualified RYA Instructor so you will get a certificate (Inland Waterways Helmaman's Course). In our case there were 2 of us learning so it was quite economical for him to come to us and teach us on our own boat. We found it very useful. I'm not sure if I should give his number on an open forum, so PM me for it or you can contact him at St Pancras Cruising Club.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we did ours with Ray, he met us at Torksey and took us out on the Trent. Even though we had done the Trent before he taught us much more than we could have imagined. The river was quite low the day we went, but this did help with Ray showing us how to avoid getting grounded, and how to get going if we did! What's more, every gravel barge on the Trent was out that day so we had practise with that too, with Ray there it wasn't even scarey! :-)

Good luck, and enjoy!

Ooh, ta! Training involving Torksey Lock will be very useful, I think. Most of my travels are going to involve that particular lock.

(btw, popped in to speak to Diane @ BW yesterday, and going back with completed forms on Saturday. Had a very nice chat.)

We might not be there on saturday. Early plans are for a BBQ at Fiskerton but if you do catch us in feel free to nip across :cheers:

• 2 months later...

We used Andrew Phasey, who is based at St Pancras Cruising Club, he's a qualified RYA Instructor so you will get a certificate (Inland Waterways Helmaman's Course). In our case there were 2 of us learning so it was quite economical for him to come to us and teach us on our own boat. We found it very useful. I'm not sure if I should give his number on an open forum, so PM me for it or you can contact him at St Pancras Cruising Club.

Hi Graheme, could I have the contact details of Andrew Phasey, please?

Thanks!