Water and Waste tanks standing for a long time!

Featured Posts

The waste tank should not be a problem.

The water tank will need emptying, flushing and possibly de-rusting and repainting.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3554

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2294

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1870

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=723

Serious question though, before I conclude my own plumbing:

Our Alvechurch hire boat had a mixer tap to the galley sink, plus a smaller single tap for filtered drinking water. How many folks use this type of system?

Edited by Moley

Look'l like I'm keeping you busy Moley! :blink:

Are you using Search to find links?

The waste tank should not be a problem.

The water tank will need emptying, flushing and possibly de-rusting and repainting.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3554

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2294

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1870

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=723

Serious question though, before I conclude my own plumbing:

Our Alvechurch hire boat had a mixer tap to the galley sink, plus a smaller single tap for filtered drinking water. How many folks use this type of system?

"a mixer tap to the galley sink, plus a smaller single tap for filtered drinking water. How many folks use this type of system?"

Yes Ade that's what we've got. The filter was fitted by me and is frustratingly slow to deliver the water. I have wondered if upping the pressure in the accumulator might improve this but have not yet received a sensible reply from the forum as to whether this is the right way to go.

Regards

David B

Look'l like I'm keeping you busy Moley! :blink:

Are you using Search to find links?

Hi again Wobbly......

I admire your enthusiasm, and know what it feels like when the prospect of a boat becoming yours is on the horizon.

And yes there will be lots of questions....

To answer your latest one, "Yes", I'm sure Moley is doing no more than using "Search".

In my view the forum works FAR better if people always look for posts on a question, before asking it again.

If you find a suitable thread, it may answer it already, but, even if not, you can simply re-open the topic for some more info.

In that way, when someone else wants to know in future, there's a good chance all previous discussion can be found by going through one, (or at most two or three), previous threads.

If this isn't done, you end up with countless "how to I look after my water tank", (or whatever), threads, and it all becomes a lot harder to find good information quickly.

Sorry, I'm sounding like a stern schoolmaster, and not meaning to !

Whatever I've said, please don't let it put you off asking questions!.

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

At the top you've got Gallery, Help, Search, Members, Calendar.

I've gone into that Search, given a keyword or words (eg Water Tank) and asked it to search all forums, titles only, show results as topics, but you can search for those keywords anywhere in posts and come up with hundreds of links.

It's always worth trying before you post a new subject.

If you can't find what you're looking for, then post new, or if you can find an old topic that's heading in the right direction, doesn't matter how old it is (as long as it's not in Archive), then add to that and resurrect it (gives other members more background info).

PS: David (Bullfrog): Thanks for that. So if you just want a cup or kettle full, a Brita jug's probably quicker and easier?

Edited by Moley

"a mixer tap to the galley sink, plus a smaller single tap for filtered drinking water. How many folks use this type of system?"

Yes Ade that's what we've got. The filter was fitted by me and is frustratingly slow to deliver the water. I have wondered if upping the pressure in the accumulator might improve this but have not yet received a sensible reply from the forum as to whether this is the right way to go.

Regards

David B

David,

Hello again, and hope you enjoyed your trip last weekend. (We didn't spot you out and about, so guess you went further than our short trip took us...)

I don't think tampering with the degree of pressure in your accumulator will make a lot of difference to the rate that water is delivered through taps, whether going through a filter or not.

The accumulator pressure simply has to be somewhere between the pressure that your water pump cuts in at, and the one it cuts out. (In my experience, if not pressurised in this range, it fails to do it's designed job of smoothing the flow, and preventing the water pump rapidly cycling on and off).

I think you'll only get an improvement on throughput if there is any adjustment on the pump itself that allows it to deliver at a higher pressure, (which I'm no expert on, but think for most there will not be...)

Best wishes,

Alan

Yeah, thats what we have. Both on the boat and at home.

- Although the one on the boat isnt acctauly connected up at the momment!

- It got dissconected half way though the fitout, and has stayed like that for the last 15 years...

Daniel

Alan

Thanks for the input on pumps/accumulator, I have considered putting in a less resistant filter capsule, the one we have now is ceramic and down to some ridiculously low number of microns, some of the charcoal options filter "larger" and thus might allow thru more water (and I assume more bugs!).

:blink: Yes, we went down the Aylsebury Arm over the weekend, very nice too. We warned by a BW man at Maresworth that a "rave" was taking place at Aston Clinton which could be heard for over a mile! We turned around at lock 13 therefore and stayed over-night around lock 10. All very pleasant and I was able to use our new gang-plank in earnest since the edges there are quite silted up. We saw little sign of the rave other than a small trickle of youngsters carrying cases of Stella and sleeping bags. There was also a whiff of herbal cigarettes about!

Regards

David

Edited by Bullfrog

We have a mixer tap and separate single tap for drinking water. We filter our drinking water through a 3 stage filter. screwfix.com. We get a very good flow out of the small tap, The 3 filters are now a year old and should be replaced, cost from screwfix for all the 3 filters was £10 in total. We have had no flow problems through the filter over the year.

You can adjust the pump pressure on recent Whale pumps (around 3 years young). From memory, there is a small grub screw at the top of the pump, hidden under the quality sticker. I think clockwise increases pressure. I would have though other pumps will be similar. Increasing the accumulator tank pressure will likely have no effect as it should be a set a little less than the pump pressure.

If the water in the fresh water tank has been standing a long time, you could pump the water out, then add fresh water and put some water purification tablets / fluid into the tank.

Ian

Elessina

If the water in the fresh water tank has been standing a long time, you could pump the water out, then add fresh water and put some water purification tablets / fluid into the tank.

Ian, thanks for that, and the filter info.

Our tank needs the full treatment though - doesn't look like it's been touched in the last 10 years (if ever :blink: )

... and I had already searched and read up on that before I side-tracked Wobbly's posting to add the filters PS.

Slightly off topic but the most important thing to look out for with those boats with an inspection hatch on the front deck and I suppose that is most of them, make sure that no leaks are possible through that hatch seal.

A couple of years ago I was on my friends boat, he had filled the tank to the brim, when I stood on the hatch water emerged from around the edge of it. If water can leak out it can leak out it can leak in much more easily. You do not need a great leap of imagination to think what can get transfered from towpath to deck and deck to water tank.

We got his tank fully sorted out the following week.

...a "rave" was taking place at Aston Clinton which could be heard for over a mile!

...we saw little sign of the rave other than a small trickle of youngsters carrying cases of Stella and sleeping bags. There was also a whiff of herbal cigarettes about!

Sounds fair enough! - Stellas a bit posh tho!

Daniel