low water levels

bigcol

Featured Posts

Reading all about the closure of the tring sumit

from bridge 39 to 49

and then i believe the 3 locks lock at lindslade

and the aquaduct closure in north milton keynes

being based in Milton keynes the water level has been down 30cm plus!!! now for a few days

were on the bottom like so some other boats here

is this water level all down to the tring closure? im sorry if this is a thick question to ask?

and apart from this folks here here love winter crusing ?

anyone on the GU cant be going anywhere surely?

theres not enough water to do so surely?

Edited by bigcol

The good news is that we have heavy rain here in the Fens this morning - the first for over a week. I hope it moves down to Hertfordshire and fills your reservoirs up so that normal service can be resumed.

Current stoppages definitely affecting things, or soon to, are.....

Stoke Bruerne Locks (30 Jan to 24 Feb)

Wolverton Trunk Aqueduct, (which BW also seem to have renamed to Cosgrove aqueduct) Until 9th March

Stoke Hammond (they say Soulbury) Three Locks Until 27th Jan

Startopsend Lock (Marsworth bottom - lock 39) through to Northchurch (Lock 49) Indefinite (Tring Summit stoppage)

(Note Northchurch Lock 49 anyway had a planned stoppage (23 Jan to 03 Feb, but is closed anyway, because of above).

So much of the GU is currently, or about to become, a no go area, but because of stoppages, more than low water levels, I would say.

However, if you are where I think you are, then that is surely the very long, (and lowest lying), pound North from Fenny Stratford through to the Wolverton trunk aqueduct stoppage ?

I am confused you say levels are down a lot there, as I was on a boat in that pound just 2 days ago, and levels seemed entirely normal.

Currently they do seem to be back pumping from that pound to back up above Fenny Stratford lock, although this only appears to be at quite a slow rate. There was no evidence I saw of the pound North of Fenny being low ?

Perhaps you are not where I assume you are, but even South of Fenny Lock, towards Stoke Hammond, looked fairly OK to me too.

No sign of aquaduct closing and very confusing e mails from bw. It seems they may have to close canal and may not, you may have a delay in passing over it and you should treat it as closed!!! Same goes for the towpath. Apart from that water levels seem fine this end!

Hi Alan

The water level here has dropped by a min of 30 cm here

we have a measuring device here lol, and a tyre on the wall which is normally undewater, the boat is easier to get onto

im at willowbridge. which is just north of the three locks.

must have missed you. as havent seen much if not any boat movement at all

col

wishing you a good trip how far you got?

im at willowbridge. which is just north of the three locks.

must have missed you. as havent seen much if not any boat movement at all

col

wishing you a good trip how far you got?

No, not actually boating, Col, but I keep one boat North of Fenny Lock.

Now you say you are at Willowbridge a low level makes more sense than the pound North of Fenny, (I thought you might be at the other off-line Marina further up). They were back-pumping at Fenny into your pound yesterday, presumably because they know it is low. The pump doesn't seem very fast though!

(Incidentally, I was actually in Willowbridge's chandlery shortly after, trying to buy something they didn't have - it has just instead dropped on my mat, courtesy of Midland Chandler's mail order....)