Hello and thanks from yet another newbie

AidanLincs

Featured Posts

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and have plucked up the courage to register. Please be gentle.

I don't have a boat yet, but I'm hoping to buy towards the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014, with the intention of living afloat. I've some friends who lived on their narrowboat for several years until family illness necessitated their return to land back in 2007 (they're hoping to return to the water soon). I stayed with them a few times, and was always rather regretful when it came to go back to my (rented) bricks and mortar. I've been on narrowboat holidays several times, although not in the last couple of years, and have finally come to the conclusion that I would be much happier on water. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that, after careful consideration of all the costs, I will actually be better off; I know this isn't always how it works out, and my calculations were originally to see how much more expensive it would be. In any case, it's not about the money (well, as long as it's not too much...).

I'm going to post a few specific questions I have later, but first I wanted to say "thank you" to all the users of this forum. I've already learned a huge amount from you all, had illusions shattered, and been opened to new possibilities. I've been reading canal blogs and forums for a few months, but it was this forum which really reinforced my belief that I'm doing the right thing. I suspect you're probably all mad. I hope so, because that will make it easier for me to fit in. :wacko:

There's no 'probably' about it at all! However, only those of us who inhabit the unSTABLE bar, actually admit to it, so tread carefully, the madness veers from thread to thread, depending on the ferocity of the alcohol served in the isobars. Oh! and welcome- I think! :unsure:

Hello and welcome! Took me a while to gather the courage to post on the forum...but sooo glad I did.

There's lots of knowledgable people on here that will only be too willing to give good advice...

As a liveaboard this advice has been invaluable and I've learnt loads!!

oh...and you may get brain mushed occasionally from some of the threads...but hey...it all makes interesting reading!

enjoy... :P

Welcome and happy hunting

to find a boat that suits you and your pockets can be a long journey, but fruitfull also , as each time you visit a boat you will learn something, and when youve feckin trolled as many i did often just dreaming then one day, yup one fatal day you will own one :) ive travelled many hours through many diffrent counties searching, and actually bought one just around the corner from where i live funny eh ?? good luck regards Martin

Welcome to the forum.

We dreamt of owning our own boat for many years, we hired for year after year until we eventually decided to take the plunge and buy our own. We dont liveaboard and ours isnt a narrowboat its a sea going cruiser but we spend every spare minute that we have on the boat enjoying the lifestyle that it brings. We have had Naughty-Cal for a little over 3 years now and have never regretted it for a minute, we have been to places by boat that we never dreamed we would.

Dont just limit yourself to the liveaboard dream, there are boats around for every budget. In the Lincoln area you will find that the vast majority of boats are cruisers, far better suited to the local waterways.

PS: We also moor at Burton Waters :cheers:

A warm welcome from two wrinkly liveaboards Aidan.

Live the dream, you won't regret it. Apart from the laid back life style and the colourful characters that you encounter on your travels, it's a worldly education from a different perspective.

Good luck,

Mike & Chrissie

Thanks for all your welcomes!

Are the mooring fees as eye-watering as it has been suggested in places?

Hello and good luck with your newfound passion. I think mooring fees vary but in my experience, finding a good quality marina is very important. You can pay high fees and get very little in return. Better to pay reasonable fees and get a quality service if being in a marina is where you're hoping to be. I am sure you'll get a lot of help and advice here.

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and have plucked up the courage to register. Please be gentle.

I don't have a boat yet, but I'm hoping to buy towards the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014, with the intention of living afloat. I've some friends who lived on their narrowboat for several years until family illness necessitated their return to land back in 2007 (they're hoping to return to the water soon). I stayed with them a few times, and was always rather regretful when it came to go back to my (rented) bricks and mortar. I've been on narrowboat holidays several times, although not in the last couple of years, and have finally come to the conclusion that I would be much happier on water. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that, after careful consideration of all the costs, I will actually be better off; I know this isn't always how it works out, and my calculations were originally to see how much more expensive it would be. In any case, it's not about the money (well, as long as it's not too much...).

I'm going to post a few specific questions I have later, but first I wanted to say "thank you" to all the users of this forum. I've already learned a huge amount from you all, had illusions shattered, and been opened to new possibilities. I've been reading canal blogs and forums for a few months, but it was this forum which really reinforced my belief that I'm doing the right thing. I suspect you're probably all mad. I hope so, because that will make it easier for me to fit in. :wacko:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I too hope to be a boat owner by 2015 and have found some great topics on here to help me on my way.

Happy reading/posting and boat hunting.