RCD a nice little scam

Featured Posts

A new little scam is emerging in the trade.

Now you know that a new boat legally needs to comply with the RCD and when it complies it doesn't need a BSS certificate to get on the water for the first 4 years.

Well certain elements of the industry so the story goes are getting concerned about their own lack of compliance to the RCD and the risks of getting caught. Now the only official bodies that on a day to day basis come into contact with a boats RCD paperwork and might draw attention to the lack compliance are the waterways licensing authorities and these builders wouldn't want the likes of BW rocking the boat would they?

So remembering that RCD compliance and the BSS are two quite different things, but a valid BSS certificate will get the boat on the water.

If you don't want anyone seeing how little actual RCD compliance you bother doing then all you have to do is pay to have a BSS examination done on the boat.

This is far cheaper than bothering with all that RCD rubbish plus you can tell the customer how honest you are by providing him with a BSS certificate.

BINGO the boat is on the water and you can sleep easily that night safe in the thought that nobody from Trading Standards will be bothering you in the near future.

Clever folk you know those boat builders :blush: .

Edited by Gary Peacock

From an owner's point of view rather than a builder, my sailaway is nearly a year old and I am still fitting it out. Is it possible to claim that I am working toward the RCD and thus avoid any BSS compliance for four years? (and then of course to change my mind and get a BSS inspector on board!)

From an owner's point of view rather than a builder, my sailaway is nearly a year old and I am still fitting it out. Is it possible to claim that I am working toward the RCD and thus avoid any BSS compliance for four years? (and then of course to change my mind and get a BSS inspector on board!)

No reason why not but wouldn't it be better to do the RCD compliance yourself?

After all it would probably increase the end value of the boat and make it much less complicated if you offer it for sale in the future.

Now you know that a new boat legally needs to comply with the RCD and when it complies it doesn't need a BSS certificate to get on the water for the first 4 years.

aren't we missing something?

it is illegal for a builder to place a boat on the market without an RCD.

BSS compliance is irrelevant.

aren't we missing something?

it is illegal for a builder to place a boat on the market without an RCD.

BSS compliance is irrelevant.

Yes but no one actually checks compliance and compliance can range from following the rules to the letter to just ordering one of those CE plates from Aquafax and sticking it on! :blush:

Obviously the less it complies the less you would want anybody asking any questions.

90% of new customers have no idear about the RCD or the BSS it is very easy to tell them what you fancy if you choose to use that approach.

Edited by Gary Peacock