what equipment ?

airborne

Featured Posts

Hello All ,

Looking into the possibility of purchasing a second hand 50ft narrowboat for leisure / holidays next year . I have a flexible budget and would like some advice on the right type of dependable equipment / systems which it should have to make life pleasurable whilst cruising and sleeping overnight at moorings . The advice I am looking for would be mainly regarding the following systems :

Electrical systems , lighting , inverters etc

Engine , size . power , any makes recomended etc

Heating , what type , makes etc

Cooking ranges ?

Shower units ?

Toilet systems

Any other advice would be appreciated , also any information on average permanent mooring fees for the year.

thanks and kind regards

Mike

Hello All ,

Looking into the possibility of purchasing a second hand 50ft narrowboat for leisure / holidays next year . I have a flexible budget and would like some advice on the right type of dependable equipment / systems which it should have to make life pleasurable whilst cruising and sleeping overnight at moorings . The advice I am looking for would be mainly regarding the following systems :

Cooking ranges ?

Shower units ?

Toilet systems

Any other advice would be appreciated , also any information on average permanent mooring fees for the year.

thanks and kind regards

Mike

Hi Mike

I think you might find that list is a bit too broad for this type of forum. You might be better to just ask one question at a time when you will undoubtedly get a lot of detailed advice and expertise on each subject. I too am fairly new to this boating business, but what I found most helpful was the list topics discussed previously. You can get to this by clicking on the drop down box on the right near the bottom of this page. The two headings I found most helpful were "New to Boating" and "Equipment". But be prepared to spend a lot of time trawling through lots of posts, because there is an enormous amount of material available on each of the subjects you have mentioned.

Best wishes

Brian

Hi Mike

I think you might find that list is a bit too broad for this type of forum. You might be better to just ask one question at a time when you will undoubtedly get a lot of detailed advice and expertise on each subject. I too am fairly new to this boating business, but what I found most helpful was the list topics discussed previously. You can get to this by clicking on the drop down box on the right near the bottom of this page. The two headings I found most helpful were "New to Boating" and "Equipment". But be prepared to spend a lot of time trawling through lots of posts, because there is an enormous amount of material available on each of the subjects you have mentioned.

Best wishes

Brian

I agree.

It would be best if the OP decided what he needs <quote> to make life pleasurable whilst cruising and sleeping overnight at moorings <unquote> . Otherwise he night be spending money on expensive equipment which will do nothing to enhance his pleasure and comfort, but might dent a considerable hole in his bank balance.

• Greenie 1

For such a wide range of topics, not sure that anyone can say what you need. From our experience would suggest going and looking at lots of boats and then you will gradually draw tra shortlist of what you want, as well as spending many hours on here....

Look at the boat. This is the thing you are buying. The equipment simply adds value (price) to that.

The choices will be predetermined in a 2nd hand boat, only if 2 boats attract you equally does the choice of equipment become a factor.

The engine is the only possible exception to that as difficult though not impossible to change. But no one can advise you on this, it's your call.

My advice: one that works

Mike, I think you would be better concentrating on finding a boat of the quality & layout that best suits you. Make the hull your first priority, then layout & quality of permanent fittings including woodwork. Engine/transmission are important but can be replaced if necessary.

If you find the right boat at the right price, generally speaking it doesn't matter what equipment it has assuming its good enough to get you started. Most electrical equipment can be added to, upgraded or replaced with relative ease. Same with most galley fittings. I guess the heating system may be a little more embedded within the construction of the boat but if heated by hot water fed radiators, it would still be easy to change the boiler if necessary.

If your boat is found to be obviously lacking in a particular equipment area, the buying price can be negotiated to allow for new. In any case the all important survey should reveal any problems that require the buying price to be negotiated.

Mike

With the best will in the world, I do not think that anyone can give you the answers.

If we all listed 'the best' in each category, there would be so many different answers, you would be no further forward.

For instance

Toilet systems
. B)

If it was possible to pick the best of everything, you are still not going to find them in a 'pre-owned' boat.

As said, search the forum and also go and look at as many boats as possible, at lots of different brokerages and marinas.

Good luck in finding your boat.

Hello All ,

Cooking ranges ?

Shower units ?

Toilet systems

thanks and kind regards

Mike

I asked a related question when we started out - at least for stuff to put in your boat.

Take a look at this thread.

It might help :captain: