Smethwick Locks tragedy

phildickman

Featured Posts

I know there are two threads running and utmost respect and condolences to the families concerned - but is this really the best advice PR at BW could come up with

A spokesman for British Waterways, which manages the canal, said: "Obviously we don't know the circumstances surrounding this incident and our thoughts go out to the families of the young people involved.

"Our general advice to people using the waterways is to stay away from the water's edge at all times."

How the heck do I get on and off my boat then???

Classic PR in the public sector bollocks...

Edited by MJG

I know there are two threads running and utmost respect and condolences to the families concerned - but is this really the best advice PR at BW could come up with

A spokesman for British Waterways, which manages the canal, said: "Obviously we don't know the circumstances surrounding this incident and our thoughts go out to the families of the young people involved.

"Our general advice to people using the waterways is to stay away from the water's edge at all times."

How the heck do I get on and off my boat then???

Classic PR in the public sector bollocks...

So what advice would you give to non-boaters using the waterways? Mine would be 'stay away from the water's edge at all times'.

Any boaters - presumably like you - who are already taking sensible precautions, don't need that advice and would see it for what it is, which is a general piece of advice for members of the public who are non-boaters. Have you really nothing better to do than sit around waiting for opportunities to have a go at public sector PR?

Edited by homer2911
  • Greenie 2

So what advice would you give to non-boaters using the waterways? Mine would be 'stay away from the water's edge at all times'.

Any boaters - presumably like you - who are already taking sensible precautions, don't need that advice and would see it for what it is, which is a general piece of advice for members of the public who are non-boaters. Have you really nothing better to do than sit around waiting for opportunities to have a go at public sector PR?

I would have worded it as follows -

"Our general advice to people using the waterways is only approach the waters edge if necessary and if you have to pay due care and attention."

Makes much more sense and can be universally applied...

Do you work for BW PR per chance?? -

I worked in the public sector for 33 years and regularly used to see bland pointless meaningless public relations statements like this get churned out.

Edited by MJG

I would have worded it as follows -

"Our general advice to people using the waterways is only approach the waters edge if necessary and if you have to pay due care and attention."

Makes much more sense and can be universally applied...

Do you work for BW PR per chance?? -

I worked in the public sector for 33 years and regularly used to see bland pointless meaningless public relations statements like this get churned out.

No, some years ago I retired from a senior management position in the wealth-creating private sector - where I obtained a First Class Honours degree in Common Sense

No, some years ago I retired from a senior management position in the wealth-creating private sector - where I obtained a First Class Honours degree in Common Sense

did that include the module on old chestnut resurrection....?

Seems to me that in the context of this tragedy, "Stay away from the water's edge at all times" conveys in a concise, easily digested manner, exactly the message intended to the group of people it is aimed at. Does it need to be a verbiose and 'stating the bleedin obvious' message?

Presumably boaters and anglers will be possessed of sufficient common sense to understand that it is a generic message to which there is going exceptions, such as boating and angling, where being at the water's edge is an integral part of their activity. Presumably these groups of people will act to minimise risk accordingly and thus don't need any more detailed advice in such a BW statement.

Just a thought...................

Seems to me that in the context of this tragedy, "Stay away from the water's edge at all times" conveys in a concise, easily digested manner, exactly the message intended to the group of people it is aimed at. Does it need to be a verbiose and 'stating the bleedin obvious' message?

Presumably boaters and anglers will be possessed of sufficient common sense to understand that it is a generic message to which there is going exceptions, such as boating and angling, where being at the water's edge is an integral part of their activity. Presumably these groups of people will act to minimise risk accordingly and thus don't need any more detailed advice in such a BW statement.

Just a thought...................

Boaters yes possibly.... ;)

Would it not be simple to fit everyone with stereoscopic light and sound sensors and an on board processor, battery free model, powered by digested carbohydrates. It would then be simple to scan the environment, recognise and avoid danger. A wireless "speaker" to issue warnings and other communication would be a good bolt on extra. Then we'd be rid of these elfs in safety and thousands of trees would be saved. I could make my fortune if I patented the idea!

Would it not be simple to fit everyone with stereoscopic light and sound sensors and an on board processor, battery free model, powered by digested carbohydrates. It would then be simple to scan the environment, recognise and avoid danger. A wireless "speaker" to issue warnings and other communication would be a good bolt on extra. Then we'd be rid of these elfs in safety and thousands of trees would be saved. I could make my fortune if I patented the idea!

A tad out of place in a thread entitled 'Smethwick Locks tragedy'?

as is most of the thread, wandering off as usual. would the unfortunate young people have read any notices anyway? imho , cynical as it is, notices are erected to prevent sue-age, how many ignore towpath closed signs, assessing danger or lack of it yourselves and carrying on regardless, or walk across lock gates? at your own risk. While my sympathy goes to the deceased and families I am cynical about the corporate statements ensueing. Also tragedy has been a source of humour since man laughed.

• Greenie 1

as is most of the thread, wandering off as usual. would the unfortunate young people have read any notices anyway? imho , cynical as it is, notices are erected to prevent sue-age, how many ignore towpath closed signs, assessing danger or lack of it yourselves and carrying on regardless, or walk across lock gates? at your own risk. While my sympathy goes to the deceased and families I am cynical about the corporate statements ensueing. Also tragedy has been a source of humour since man laughed.

Most would be more cynical if no such statements were made following a tragic death

Having worked in the public sector for decades, I understand the advice quite differently: it is an attempt to escape liability. Nothing else motivates public sector management quite as much as the desire to evade responsibility and accountability. Coming a close second is enforcement of policy compliance.

The public sector doesn't like people to think for themselves - only obey instructions.

That's why the towpath on the L&L near Rodley has signs warning walkers that they need to look out for traffic when crossing the road. And every swing bridge has instructions to push it with your back.

would the unfortunate young people have read any notices anyway? imho , cynical as it is, notices are erected to prevent sue-age, how many ignore towpath closed signs, assessing danger or lack of it yourselves and carrying on regardless, or walk across lock gates?

A whole generation is now coming of age with the belief that individuals are not competent to assess risk or take personal responsibility for their own safety. There was no conscious effort to nurture this trend, but it is the entirely predictable (and predicted) result of the public sector's obsession for health & safety.

Most people are completely blind to H&S warnings anyway - it has reached such a saturation point in public sector buildings that people who visit them frequently learn to filter them out.