Replacing an outboard

rawmusic

Featured Posts

So thanks to everyone here for the advice over the last few weeks, anyhow I've put a deposit down on an old Norman cruiser, however the problem is supposedly the pull start is dodgy but electric works every time so I'm told, seems simple apart from the full wiring harness isn't there.

So I've agreed they have a week to sort it or we renegotiate the price I'm thinking down a couple of hundred so I can replace the outboard, so the question us are the throttle / steering cables fairly standard or is it new engine new cables?

So thanks to everyone here for the advice over the last few weeks, anyhow I've put a deposit down on an old Norman cruiser, however the problem is supposedly the pull start is dodgy but electric works every time so I'm told, seems simple apart from the full wiring harness isn't there.

So I've agreed they have a week to sort it or we renegotiate the price I'm thinking down a couple of hundred so I can replace the outboard, so the question us are the throttle / steering cables fairly standard or is it new engine new cables?

If it's wheel steered with remote control they will be specific to the make and possibly the model of outboard. For example, if I replace our Yamaha with a Honda I have to get the lot, new steering cable, new throttle cable, potentially new single level control etc.

Not cheap. And a couple of hundred won't get you a very good outboard unless you are very lucky. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Be careful here - even the same make of outboard will not necessarily mate with older control cables and some of these are frighteningly expensive. If it's a Jap machine they love to mess about with things like this so you can't just swap engines over.

As I have said before, an old small grp cruiser is worthless unless it has a decent engine. If it is shot, the price of the boat is the cost of a new engine and the associated linkages, two or three grand. Whether it's worth bothering depends on the state of the rest of the boat.

I like outboards for all sorts of reasons, one is that you have a back up if your battery fails. If the pull cord don't work, you've lost one big advantage. Apart from that I always say that's how you tell whether the engine's any good, it should start second or third pull.

Saying all this, you have to start somewhere!

It's a tomos outboard, yeh I know not what I want really, but the boat is costing bugger all with it. I have found the old Uk importer today who says he's got a workshop manual he can send me, supposedly the outboard works fine just you have to do electric start and the cable wasn't there I'm hoping the owners have it in the pile of bits at home they were talking about. Failing that could I just pop the 2 wires for the electric start not a battery for a second or 2? In theory that should spin it surely.

I'm not giving in yet........

It's a tomos outboard, yeh I know not what I want really, but the boat is costing bugger all with it. I have found the old Uk importer today who says he's got a workshop manual he can send me, supposedly the outboard works fine just you have to do electric start and the cable wasn't there I'm hoping the owners have it in the pile of bits at home they were talking about. Failing that could I just pop the 2 wires for the electric start not a battery for a second or 2? In theory that should spin it surely.

Don't, a cheap sound boat that you can polish up is way better than an expensive turd if you'll forgive the language. A mate of mine runs a Caracruiser, and has a 4.4hp outboard that he has jury rigged to the steering and single lever. Motor bike spares apparently. Cost of engine, new £500. I WANT a Honda 15hp, at £3,000, but if a less than 5hp engine at less than £500 will push Juno along, we'll go for it.

We have no normal recoil start, although I can do it in an emrgency by taking the cover and starter motor off, but our problem is sputtering about half an hour into the cruise.

What I mean is, If Juno's hull was cracked, we'd need a new boat, we just need a new engine

the tomos outboard is a bit antique,and will likely be troublesome as well as consumptive.

would be best to invest in a japanese 4 stroke,and enjoy your boating.

That's kind of what I've been thinking, if I can get a boat for under £900 that following advice on here doesn't seem damp inside, couldn't see lots of blistering, was out of the water and anti fouled in the last few years and well will do me for now, then well maybe I just take the plunge, hope it doesn't go wrong and well slowly spend more and do the few jobs its got.

Am I a foolish dreamer or is that accepted due to the boat buying.

Go for it mate. keep any eye out on flea bay and the like, but you might have more joy once you in and about the boaty people. There is always a guy that someone knows selling an outboard around the cut and boat yards. By you getting your Norman is like a membership.

Crack on and enjoy.

Smudge

Am I a foolish dreamer or is that accepted due to the boat buying.

Yep!

But if you're getting the boat for under a grand it has to be worth it. Our local outboard centre has brand new honda 10's for £1800, £700 for a second hand honda 8. Just make sure if you buy secondhand that you can definately get the right linkages for throttle, gears and steering. For the older hondas some of the parts are not available in the uk though you can get them from USA.