first trip

owen

Featured Posts

I'd go selby-castleford, castleford leeds, leeds-rodley. 3 days. Don't forget it's advisable to leave Leeds early morning. You could theoretically do this journey in 2 days but it would mean doing the leeds liverpool bit in the afternoon. I wouldn't.

Also - be aware diesel retailers are like hens teeth on that stretch - nowt between Castleford and Rodley - even going through Leeds. Not even sure the yard at Castleford sells it TBH.

Rodley boat services at Rodley do but will only do at 60/40 no choice.

Top up when you can.

ed to add - nice moorings in Clarence dock right next to the Royal armouries, Woodlesford is a nice place to stop too as is the wharf at Rodley..

Edited by MJG

I'd go selby-castleford, castleford leeds, leeds-rodley. 3 days. Don't forget it's advisable to leave Leeds early morning. You could theoretically do this journey in 2 days but it would mean doing the leeds liverpool bit in the afternoon. I wouldn't.

cheers any info helpful thats what i like about the forum always somebody to help cheers

Also - be aware diesel retailers are like hens teeth on that stretch - nowt between Castleford and Rodley - even going through Leeds. Not even sure the yard at Castleford sells it TBH.

Rodley boat services at Rodley do but will only do at 60/40 no choice.

Top up when you can.

ed to add - nice moorings in Clarence dock right next to the Royal armouries, Woodlesford is a nice place to stop too as is the wharf at Rodley..

cracking advice would hate to run out of diesel i had assumed that there would be something along the way are there no fuel boats up north

cheers any info helpful thats what i like about the forum always somebody to help cheers

cracking advice would hate to run out of diesel i had assumed that there would be something along the way are there no fuel boats up north

Don't forget your handcuff key for the anti-vandal stuff on the locks through Leeds to Rodley...

I don't believe so, at least on that section, somebody who has been up here longer may know better - we were tipped off about the scarcity of diesel suppliers in that neck of the woods when we moved our boat to the A&C last month.

I presume Bank's (is it still called that) at Selby sell diesel but I must admit it hadn't occurred to me that there was no other diesel on this route, good point.

The problem is of course that the canal, and this bit in particular, is so quiet nowadays it just isn't practical for anyone to buy it in sufficient quantities. Even a fuel boat would struggle to find enough customers.

BTW yes Clarence Dock is a good place to moor up for the night but bear in mind you are still on the river there ie they might close the flood gates if it gets too high. This can happen overnight. We always go through the river lock and office lock and stop on the offside moorings which many people think are private or long term as there's no sign. It is very private and secure (you need that anti vandal key) the only problem is the railway nearby is quite noisy but it saves you a couple of locks in the morning as well.

...it would mean doing the leeds liverpool bit in the afternoon. I wouldn't.

Why not? We've done it with no problems whatsoever...I live and work close to the L/L and have boated on it extensively. Apart from rubbish on the prop which is par for the course on the urban stretches, we've never had a moment's problem...Rodley to Leeds was an absolute doddle, with BW staff helping us along the way.

Looking forward to doing it again shortly...

Janet

BTW yes Clarence Dock is a good place to moor up for the night but bear in mind you are still on the river there ie they might close the flood gates if it gets too high. This can happen overnight. We always go through the river lock and office lock and stop on the offside moorings which many people think are private or long term as there's no sign. It is very private and secure (you need that anti vandal key) the only problem is the railway nearby is quite noisy but it saves you a couple of locks in the morning as well.

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware you could moor there - we are hoping to get out later this week and have the sprog and boyfriend in tow and they want to go out/shopping in Leeds - that must be nearer the centre than Clarence Dock??

.Rodley to Leeds was an absolute doddle, with BW staff helping us along the way.

You can't count on them doing so Janet I'm afraid.

Last time we came through just after leaving Rodley a boat coming the other way said - 'don't worry, there is a couple of BW guys helping....'

Never saw one helping though, one rode past on a bike and that was it...however that said it wasn't a problem - slow, yes as we were alone but better for us given our boat length in the short locks meaning we could chose which side to go.

Why not? We've done it with no problems whatsoever...I live and work close to the L/L and have boated on it extensively. Apart from rubbish on the prop which is par for the course on the urban stretches, we've never had a moment's problem...Rodley to Leeds was an absolute doddle, with BW staff helping us along the way.

Looking forward to doing it again shortly...

Janet

When we did Office Lock to Rodley we were advised by BW to do it as early as we could because of likely problems later in the day. The lock keeper's words were "Welcome to Beirut" and not for nothing do they keep their own cars locked in steel shipping containers alongside the canal. We had some lock keeper help at some locks but were on our own for much of them. We didn't have any problems but think it was helped by heeding the advice given.

Roger

Edited by Albion

When we did Office Lock to Rodley we were advised by BW to do it as early as we could because of likely problems later in the day. The lock keeper's words were "Welcome to Beirut" and not for nothing do they keep their own cars locked in steel shipping containers alongside the canal. We had some lock keeper help at some locks but were on our own for much of them. We didn't have any problems but think it was helped by heeding the advice given.

Roger

The stretch does not deserve it's reputation though.

We met some really great lads on the way down - one of whom broke away from his mates who were fishing to help us lock through.

The biggest arse was the guy who cycled passed saying to me in his best authoritative tone 'make sure you lock them (as in paddles) up properly'

My response a rather curt "Yes I do know what I'm doing..."

- turned out, according to the lads at the lock he was a boater who regularly passes on his bike and had a go at them.

Some boaters reap what they sow...