Gas stove & oven combo

Amy&Ian

Featured Posts

Hi there, first time posting! :)

We are in the process of turning a lovely old barge into our home. It's our first boat and it's all very exciting.

I have been reading the different threads about ovens and hobs, and I understand that I need to find one with the safety shut off device.

Do any of you knowledgeable people out there have any recommendations for good ovens and stoves? I love cooking and baking and would be gutted to end up with an oven that burns up one end and weakly defrosts the other. We will also have limited electricity (no shore power, we will be running off batteries/generator/solar panels), there is an inverter but we don't want the oven to be running unnecessary fans, digital timer displays etc.

I'd love to hear any experiences, suggestions, ones to avoid, whatever.

Cheers!

Amy

Welcome to the forum :)

I have nothing to suggest about ovens and hobs, so I'll let someone else offer their suggestions.

However, have you seen this? They're quite popular with some boaters (and at home - we have one at home).

Tony

If you do have an electric oven, wire it to a switch/ socket which you can get to so you only turn the oven on when needed, that way clock etc doesn't use electric when not needed. We have gas hob and electric fan oven, unfortunately at present oven in plugged to socket which is inaccessable so clock runs all the time, but we do have shore power. I never have liked gas ovens as found less even cooking, but I'm no chef !!!

Edited by Bat & Frog

We are in the process of turning a lovely old barge into our home. It's our first boat and it's all very exciting.

I have been reading the different threads about ovens and hobs, and I understand that I need to find one with the safety shut off device.

Do any of you knowledgeable people out there have any recommendations for good ovens and stoves? I love cooking and baking and would be gutted to end up with an oven that burns up one end and weakly defrosts the other. We will also have limited electricity (no shore power, we will be running off batteries/generator/solar panels), there is an inverter but we don't want the oven to be running unnecessary fans, digital timer displays etc.

Cheers!

Amy

You say a barge, which is a wide boat. On our barge we has a full sized Cannon gas cooker with eye level grill. That was perfect. You need to secure it to the side of the boat so it cannot move in rough weather, when setting up you only think of marinas and canals but if you later go onto a river then your system has to be right. We are currently looking for a small cooker 50cm wide which will fit at the side of the kitchen on our narrow-boat and so cannot have a eye level grill, so we are looking for a separate grill. if you have a bulkhead spare to fit a cooker go for eye level grill. Look for knobs which are shaped to ensure they aren't wrongly turned which can happen with round knobs when the paint wears off or in bad light. Try to find a battery ignition system if you can, we are struggling. Electric cookers are too powerful for most boat systems. Oil fired aga is another possibility.

Cheers!

Amy

I've not tried these, but narrowboaters who choose an Aga on land, tsometimes go for a Heritage Uno or a Vintage 500.

These are both the smallest models, suitable for a narrowboat, but the larger models may be more appropriate on a barge.

David

WotEver - Thankyou! No I have never heard of a thermocooker, it does look interesting and we are always keen to find ways to reduce our energy consumption. Can't believ you can make cakes with it, have you tried that? What kind of stuff do you cook with it? (cute puppy pic by the way!)

Bat & Frog - Thanks, you are right, the clock doesn't need to run all the time, if at all.. and we can also ignite with one of those clicker things. All the modern ovens I have been looking at have such superfluous digital doodads. Might have to go vintage!

Tha Bagdad Boatman (waits) - Yes it's wide, and Cannon seem to come up quite a bit as recommended cooker.. will definitely look into those more. How does your Cannon oven fare with roasts and baking? Does it do the job? Securing - good tip thanks. Round knobs versus shaped, also good tip, hadn't thought of that. I have been google searching for battery op igniters, if I find one I'll let you know.

David Mack - Cheers, they look so beautiful but we will probably stick with gas. I love the look of Aga's but struggle with the combined heating and cooking. Having the two together in winter is great, but having to have the heating on in summer to keep cooking.. our little boat will be a sweat box!

Can't believe you can make cakes with it, have you tried that? What kind of stuff do you cook with it? (cute puppy pic by the way!)

Never tried cakes yet. Mostly stews, Morroccan, curries, braising steak, lamb shank... all the stuff you'd normally use a slow cooker for.

Glad you like the pups - they're our babies :)

Tony