Whats it like?

KenK

Featured Posts

We are thinking of moving the boat next year, quite fancy the Trent and Mersey as there seem to be lots of crusing options. We will need to find a marina, any recomendations or suggestions, lesiure use only not residential.

Ken

mercia marina at willington. good access by road and rail

waggers/clive

We are thinking of moving the boat next year, quite fancy the Trent and Mersey as there seem to be lots of crusing options. We will need to find a marina, any recomendations or suggestions, lesiure use only not residential.

Ken

First class - and we would still be there if it wasn't so far from home.

We were at Mercia for a year at Willington which you are correct gave numerous cruising options.

I can also thoroughly recommend Mercia marina.

The T&M is a long waterway, as you've probably already sussed.

A couple of places come to mind, both nearer the middle than Mercia.

Kings Bromley. We moored there for a couple of years and did lots of routes. The marina went through a bit of a rough patch a year or so back, but has pulled itself back up again. Friendly staff. Is a bit prone to be a windy place especially in the "far" pool.

Aston Marina, new, with very friendly staff, last time I checked they still had spaces for all lengths of boat. Charge by the mooring size, not by boat size. Only one boat either side of each pontoon (as indeed both Mercia and Kings Bromley), electric, water etc. to every mooring. Usual facilities, pump out, porta-loo chuck-it, and diesel, diy laundry, showers etc. The food in the shop is of very high quality, but at the top end of prices. Stone is only about a mile away and has a couple of the usual culprits in terms of supermarkets (unlike KB which is a few miles from Lichfield the nearest "civilisation")

Cruising options for both KB and Aston are very extensive, a lot of Brum can be done in a week from either, Llangollen is a two week trip and so on.

As ever, there are other marinas available...

We are at Mercia too - in fact I'm right there now, settled in for the weekend with the evening sunshine glancing off the water and sliding through the open hatch. Couple of coots outside chuntering to each other, grassy bank and reeds moving hardly at all, a neighbour preparing to head out for the weekend ... gorgeous! Marina BBQ tomorrow night - planned ages ago as it happens!

I'd suggest you go visiting ... wouldn't take long to travel to all the marinas suggested so far and a couple or three in addition like Barton Turns. Then you can decide what your priorities are and rank them for your personal preference. In fact, that could be a plan for your weekend!!

Jo

I too will vote for Mercia (although we have recently left there to be closer to the River Trent)

We found de Management, the wildlife, and the surroundings absolutely wonderful . . .. . .

Even Jo_ is lovely :closedeyes:

Where is you now?

I too will vote for Mercia (although we have recently left there to be closer to the River Trent)

We found de Management, the wildlife, and the surroundings absolutely wonderful . . .. . .

Even Jo_ is lovely :closedeyes:

:clapping:

(sorry to miss saying adieu to you and Jose, David)

Edited by Jo_

Thanks for the suggestions, I will investigate.

:cheers:

Ken

There's an artcle about Mercia in Novembers canal boat magazine- massive expansion and new facilities- might be worth you having a read. It also lists other moorings by location. We're based at Shardlow which is nice- great location for the erewash and River Soar- but still waiting for electric hook upon our pontoon which is my only moan but on a waiting list. Bought our boat from Sawley- but dont know anyone moored there