Two water cans.

oldironsides

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've had a look at the photos and agree with Kitman that Percy Foster could be the painter, although in my opinion Frank Nurser is slightly more of a possibility. Certainly the painting is classic Braunston style. I'd love to see the can in the flesh; it's often hard to discern detail from photographs. I have several examples of Braunston painting here as part of mine and Phil Speight's historic collections and comparison would be useful.

The newer can I can't help with.....post carrying days, I suspect.....lots of painters have "had a go" since then. Certainly whoever painted it had looked at older stuff and there's a touch of Bunny Bunford in the castle, I fancy, He was a well known signwriter and painter in the 60s/70s.

Anyone else care to offer opinions? Hope so!

Best wishes

Dave

I would tend to agree with Dave re first can, second is a Lesters can from around the mid 1990's and the painter almost cetainly is my ex wife Gill Hogg (Traditional Artmetalware Co). The brush strokes are identical to can here in the office. The can looks "unfinished" and rushed which typified her cans as she always said there was no money in them!

Edited by Laurence Hogg