Re-naming a boat.

Blokey

Featured Posts

As a complete novice and just buying our first boat I wondered what you experienced boaters thought about this apparently very emotive issue. Have you suffered greatly after doing so??

Our boat at the minute is called after a man. That alone just doesnt sit right. Its name is "Hernando Cortez" it rasps off the tongue about as smoothly as a sand blaster off a nuns bare arse. Its a horrible name.

I wanted to rename her "Saucy Little Minx" Linda my partner wanted to call her "Freedom" but that was all to corny and so she said "Free Spirit". We have now settled on Saucy little Minx in a crescent moon over "Free Spirit" in a horizontal line .

Now everyone rapidly tells us as soon as we mention it (particularly non boater friends) that its bad luck to rename a boat ???? Boaters themselves have up to now tended to be far more pragmatic in our very limited experience and inform us that its ok as long as your rolling drunk enough in the boats honour when this renaming takes place.

My father followed along the same avenues Im sure when I was born otherwise why am I called "Barry Ignacious, Frying Pan, Russell????

Is it bad luck to rename a boat or surely in this instance would we not be doing this magnificent steed of a craft a well earned good turn as indeed I felt I was when I shot my father.

Edited by Blokey

Is it bad luck to rename a boat or surely in this instance would we not be doing this magnificent steed of a craft a well earned good turn as indeed I felt I was when i shot my father .

I renamed my boat when I bought it. I am sure the gesture hasn't poured bad luck upon me - but I am not the sort that worries about that kind of thing!

Blokey,

I renamed my boat afterI bought her. Like yours the boat was called after a bloke 'Papa Lazarou' although the boat carried the name only on the BW licence - it was a 'grey primer' boat. I had no issues with renaming to 'ELEMIAH' I just did it and advised BW accordingly with the change of ownership. :wacko:

As I understand it, changing the name of a boat is supposed to CHANGE the luck of a boat.

That is, if a boat has suffered bad luck, you change the name and all should be well.

I bought a boat once which had been broken in to twice, had the outboard stolen, and was a quarter full of rain water due to a vent being missing from the roof.

I changed the name of the boat (didn't like the original name anyway), and all was well until I sold her four years later. I still see her with the name I put on and she is still looking OK.

The boat I have now has given us lots of bad luck, we've gone through four engines in twelve months, and now she has spruing a leak. Lots of other things have happened too.

We have now changed her name and it only remains to be seen what happens. Although BW issued the new mooring permit with the new name on, they are not prepared to re-issue the licence until renewal, so the old name is still on the boat licence which I think is why we have the leak. (a strong wind blew us on to an unknown object last weekend but one).

If the boat has suffered, change it, if not then don't break what isn't broken!!

But then again, I AM supersticious (spelling??). I also believe in ghosts, we have one at work, but that's another story.....................

Is it bad luck to rename a boat or surely in this instance would we not be doing this magnificent steed of a craft a well earned good turn as indeed I felt I was when I shot my father.

There have been a couple of threads on this subject in the past; have you read them? The general concensus seems to be that it's OK as long as the boat is on dry land at the time - and the ritual beer-drinking ceremony may or not be a essential but it's best not to risk omitting it.

If you haven't already read it, see how Anglo-Welsh did it for our first boat Thistle - which seemed to have its fair share of bad luck from then onwards.

Allan

There have been a couple of threads on this subject in the past; have you read them? The general concensus seems to be that it's OK as long as the boat is on dry land at the time - and the ritual beer-drinking ceremony may or not be a essential but it's best not to risk omitting it.

If you haven't already read it, see how Anglo-Welsh did it for our first boat Thistle - which seemed to have its fair share of bad luck from then onwards.

Allan

i wasn't superstitious until I read this thread.... perhaps I ought to un-name my boat!

I read somewhere that it is fine to change the name of your boat as long as it is blessed by a preacher or someone with some sort of spiritual authority ( a mate with a cape and funny hat would do), in a long and complicated ritual involving loads of alcohol. The ritual has to be planned by the owner of the boat. Another way of doing it is to remove the old name and wait until the boat has forgotten her original name. Then change it, but again make sure plenty of booze and ceremony is involved just in case.

I don't know. I wanted to change to name of my boat, but in the end I kind of got used to it, and now changing it feels very wrong. It's kind of like getting a new girlfriend and changing her name because you don't like it....

Another way of doing it is to remove the old name and wait until the boat has forgotten her original name. Then change it, but again make sure plenty of booze and ceremony is involved just in case.

I guess that's what we've done then. The old vinyl lettering ‘Deal’ was the first thing we peeled off, you can still see where it was, but I won't add her new name until I repaint. It's on the new licences though, but I don't think she can read.

In any case, that wasn't her original name, you can see another vague impression in the paintwork but it's nigh on impossible to make out any letters.

I was told I should paint the old name on the back of a horseshoe and the new name on the front, then fix it on the front door. Alcohol involved, naturally.

It's kind of like getting a new girlfriend and changing her name because you don't like it....

And that's wrong ? :wacko:

Dunno.... I'll try renaming my girlfriend tonight and let you know how it went in the morning.

Just a little advice ensure you know the nearest exit and also the locality of medical/surgical help :wacko:

Edited by bottle

Dunno.... I'll try renaming my girlfriend tonight and let you know how it went in the morning.

Just to go off-topic and lower the tone completely, I hear there's a new position you fellas might like to try, called the Rodeo.

It's a variation on the Doggy, but halfway through you use someone else's name and see how long you can stay on.

That could change my warn 0% :lol:

Where's my coat? :wacko:

Just to go off-topic and lower the tone completely, I hear there's a new position you fellas might like to try, called the Rodeo.

It's a variation on the Doggy, but halfway through you use someone else's name and see how long you can stay on.

That could change my warn 0% :wacko:

Where's my coat? :lol:

:lol: very good! Lets just hope my lovely lady never checks this forum....

Edited by Pat

Right then, that is it. I am going to have to have a serious ceremony renaming my boat. What are the essentials? I have alcohol....

I have already painted the old name out and put a scrawl of a new one on... but I haven't painted it properly, and thus conlcude that the boat isn't officially renamed, but needs to be... The licence has its new name on.....

So that is the starting point...

I also have access to plenty of vicars...... not sure why, it just happens to work out that way!

Edited by Bones

I also have access to plenty of vicars...... not sure why, it just happens to work out that way!

Not so sure about vicars.... Might have to be someone a bit more voodoo than that. More like a shaman, a witch or a pagan druid or something. But if you don't know any pagan druids, I suppose a vicar will do.

Not so sure about vicars.... Might have to be someone a bit more voodoo than that. More like a shaman, a witch or a pagan druid or something. But if you don't know any pagan druids, I suppose a vicar will do.

So perhaps a dowsing of incense, an appropriate ODE to the boat one for the old name, followed by words of transition, then another ode to the new name, champagne sprayed all over it, followed by tea and cakes.

This is what I did (and to have a good time and a laugh)

Vigor's Denaming Ceremony

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records.

"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."

Christening Ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________ and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

I couldn't get the Queen, but she asked me to officiate in her place :wacko::lol::)

I did placate Neptune and Poisiden by pooring GOOD wine into the water, much to the disgust of the others :lol:

However there was enough left for everyone.

For good measure you can ask everyone to toast the boats new name, then step off WITHOUT LOOKING BACKWARDS.

This is supposed to remove any bad luck. The person in the boat club who told me did this to theirs, however apparently somone stumbled on the step and looked down. Well that's what they blamed for their boat continually breaking down, and having problems :lol:

well, that sounds perfect. AS long as it is ok that i have already put the name on... but then I can always use the time between doing that and the ceremony as purgatory!

What a super excuse for a good party!... I shall give rent a crowd a ring later!

Edited by Bones

Ooh, I like Supermalc's denaming ceremony. I guess I shall add Bonten, Taishaku, Nitten, Gatten, and all other protective forces in the Universe (Buddhist ones), and I'll not have a Christening but a Buddhistening I suppose :wacko: when we do ours.

Just to make mine more interesting :wacko: it was a very windy day, and the dry soil had been picked up by the wind, creating a dust storm of 'almost biblical proportions'.

So as I stood reciting on the bow of my boat, I was not only blinded, but almost blown into the river.

I'm sure you can imagine the scene :lol:

wudrubstrip.jpg