Birds of Prey

Peter Underwood

Featured Posts

Last week we went to a Red Kite feeding centre in West Wales to see hundreds of these once-rare birds wheeling and turning.

It set me thinking that we have seen many more buzzards and kites in the past couple of years than ever before, especially on the Shroppie, Coventry, N Oxford and GU in Northants. More than I recall from a rural Suffolk childhood.

Watching three buzzards being mobbed by crows here at Brewood led me to wonder whether other boaters are also spotting more of them?

Last week we went to a Red Kite feeding centre in West Wales to see hundreds of these once-rare birds wheeling and turning.

It set me thinking that we have seen many more buzzards and kites in the past couple of years than ever before, especially on the Shroppie, Coventry, N Oxford and GU in Northants. More than I recall from a rural Suffolk childhood.

Watching three buzzards being mobbed by crows here at Brewood led me to wonder whether other boaters are also spotting more of them?

Going down the Oxford and Thames in June we saw literally dozens of Red Kites. I don't ever recall seeing them before, and I grew up in Oxford.

John

Have seen loads of Buzzards and Red Kites over the past year or two, throughout the midlands and wales. Very few Kingfishers this year, may have been the severe winter.

Guest Quo Vadis

I spent my childhood in a very rural / farming environment, in 1950s Northamptonshire / South Leicestershire. I was very keen on nature, especially birds, and can safely say that the only bird of prey living and breeding there was the Kestrel.

I'm pleased to say, that now I regularly see Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks and Red Kites (strays from Fineshades Wood near Corby) and at certain times Osprey as they travel south from Rutland Water. I have even had reports from a trusted source that a Peregrine has been seen near Foxton Locks.

There is a down side of course, as one of our sweet little resident Collared Doves was butchered in the garden by a Sparrow Hawk, which made me wonder why anyone was querying the reduction in the Sparrow population :huh:

I spent my childhood in a very rural / farming environment, in 1950s Northamptonshire / South Leicestershire. I was very keen on nature, especially birds, and can safely say that the only bird of prey living and breeding there was the Kestrel.

I'm pleased to say, that now I regularly see Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks and Red Kites (strays from Fineshades Wood near Corby) and at certain times Osprey as they travel south from Rutland Water. I have even had reports from a trusted source that a Peregrine has been seen near Foxton Locks.

There is a down side of course, as one of our sweet little resident Collared Doves was butchered in the garden by a Sparrow Hawk, which made me wonder why anyone was querying the reduction in the Sparrow population :huh:

I believe collared doves are officially vermin (they can have up to 5 broods per year), don't get too attached to them!

Tim

The red kites in the Chilterns are doing really well. Back in the 80's you had to go searching on Christmas Common for a hope of seeing one. I was at a pub in Watlington recently and there were 9 visible over the garden. I drive from north Oxon to Aylesbury weekly and usually see a couple on the way.

In my area it has been the same with the buzzards. 20 years ago you had to go to the west country for a chance of seeing even one, but nowadays it is not unusual for me to see several from the car every time I go out and they fly over the garden daily.

Changed farming practices have seen the resurgence of small mammals, their favourite food.

Guest Quo Vadis

DSC06198%202.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308987724149

Buzzard over Wendover Arm

DSC06397%202.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1309249848335

Tern on The Grand Union

DSC02540%20copy.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1287908377359

Red Kite on The Thames

Great photos!

We see the tern regularly up at Debdale

When I lived in mid-Wales 25 years ago, buzzards were common enough (tourist's eagles) but red kites were very rare. When I first moved to Cheshire it was very rare to see a buzzard, now they are relatively common to see them, even more so to hear them. I used to see maybe one or two kites a year even though I lived near one of their known nesting sites, now i can drive up the M40 and see 50+ in the air at one time! (though these, like plumbers, are mostly immigrants from eastern Europe and their descendants)

There's a big bird of prey that's been circling over the canal at Cow Roast this week. Not sure what it is though. There were always a pair of birds of prey over the GU bit of Lapworth Junction when I used to more there too. I saw them on and off for a few years.

Hi Lisa we saw him there today. Definitely Red Kite

Back in beginnning July we saw a family of 5 circling over the marina.

David

We get sparrow hawks eating small birds. It takes them a long time to kill starlings. We also get buzzards we take the ring necked pidgeons (which used to drive us mad with their call but now are not here - thanks Bill) and anything we chuck out into the field having found it dead in the garden - like squirrels and rabbits. When we do chuck one of these it quickly disappears and then Bill the Buzzard keeps flying low over (as opposed to right up there) looking for more for the next few days. We hear of red kite sightings but we have not seen one yet. No doubt like the ring necks they will arrive.