canal boat hatches,

bux

Featured Posts

i got a quote today for a hatch for the side of my canal boat, the fabricator said that it is only 2foot hatches that can be installed onto canal boats, but i have seen some 3fot hatches on canal boats and i told him this, he then said he would have to look into it, then a few days later said that it could be done and it would cost me £1050 for him to do this as it would take him about six days to complete and the price would not include the finishing off os the inside of the hatch or making good, can any one advice if this is a good price for the hatch as i am not sure if i am going to take this quote at present.

i got a quote today for a hatch for the side of my canal boat, the fabricator said that it is only 2foot hatches that can be installed onto canal boats, but i have seen some 3fot hatches on canal boats and i told him this, he then said he would have to look into it, then a few days later said that it could be done and it would cost me £1050 for him to do this as it would take him about six days to complete and the price would not include the finishing off os the inside of the hatch or making good, can any one advice if this is a good price for the hatch as i am not sure if i am going to take this quote at present.

That seems very pricey to me. And to take 6 days as well seems over the top. I would say 2 days for a competent welder, one day cutting out and fabricating framework and day 2 making and fitting doors. If undertaken on the canal bank then it would take longer, but in a yard this is a pretty straightforward job.

If you removed the lining your self before the job about 6 inches either side of the proposed hatch sides, that would also save time and cost. If removed neatly you could well replace to blend back in after the hatch is fitted.

Edited by Julynian

Mortimer Bones, a poster on this forum, described the adventures of fitting a prefabricated hatch in a column in one of the canal boat magazines - might be worth searching it out.

Edited to correct the worst auto spell check decision ever!

Edited by WJM