New boater needs help choosing a narrowboat

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi- Can anybody help. We are new to boating and looking to purchase our first boat. We are viewing 2 at the weekend (very excited). One is a 36foot all steel narrowboat and one is a 47foot steel hull with composite wood and fibreglass top- both are older boats (late 70s)to fit our budget. I've seen some negative stories about composite tops- Are there pitfalls or risks with the composite top- such as more maintenance, expensive maintenance, more risk of leaks etc- I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Its a big step for us and as we're novices any advice would be gratefully received- Many thanks

If you are new, have you any experience?.

The boats you mention are so different in length and build, a little more info would be invaluable.

The previous poster is correct about leakages etc. They are also a bigger fire risk, according to insurance rates.

Happy hunting

Thank you- Is it a big task to keep on top of- would you consider composite top or steer away from it? I've also looked at the maker and plating specs- would you have any thoughts on these:-

Composite boat is Fernie fabrications, 6/6/5

Steel is Springer 5/5/3

both are 1970s boats

Many thanks- appreciate any advice- novice but learning lots over the last few weeks

If you are new, have you any experience?.

The boats you mention are so different in length and build, a little more info would be invaluable.

The previous poster is correct about leakages etc. They are also a bigger fire risk, according to insurance rates.

Happy hunting

Hi-Thanks- we've had several boating holidays before, but never purchased or maintained a boat before, 47ft is the max we would have, there's 2 of us plus a dog, and thought the extra space would be good for friends. We've looked at numerous boats now but getting confused with all the variables

Mmmm...given the choice between a springer or a Fernie Fabrications then I'd go for the Fernie, every time.

Plastic lids can leak but so can steel, of that age.

Fibreglass lids can be sealed and easily maintained and ar far cooler, in summer, and warmer in the winter.

As for the fire risk I'd rather be in a boat that I can break out of, than roasted in the oven a metal boat becomes, in a fire.