Dongle is awesome now.

Scooby

Featured Posts

These artistically presented figures don't mean much. I'm at Festival Park in Stoke on Trent and my first test showed 1.4Mb/s and a few minutes later another test showed 0.8MB/s. I'm using a standard 3 Huawei dongle.

One would need to do several tests at each of several times of the day for several days to get any statistically significant results, or perhaps even to find out which times of the day and week were most appropriate for testing.

Comparisons with two different dongles at the same place and time probably would be meaningful - e.g. X has the best service at point Y or the new dongle is better than the old dongle using X's service at point Y.

When I started with a dongle in 2009 I found 3's service was not universal along the cut and I also bought a T-mobile dongle. Now I can't remember when I couldn't get a 3 signal. And the causes of poor speed seems to be down to customer usage because it can vary widely by time of day. And from following various comments on this forum I have the impression that 3 generally provides the best service.

Indeed I wonder why the Govt is spending millions to improve broadband coverage - why not just pay the mobile broadband people to install a few extra masts?

This my latest speed test, i have had over 7 meg it is upto 21 meg not cant see me getting that but am impressed, dongle and router on the roof with external aeriel as well.

1392041826.png

I might be dim but all the online specs show no external socket for one.

Is yours the Huawei E367?

Oh & which router are you using?

You're right, it doesn't specify anywhere that there is an ariel socket - I went into a Three shop and asked to see one (just so I could see for myself!) - it is the Huawei E367.

We have a Zoom 3G router...

I might be dim but all the online specs show no external socket for one.

Have you used a proximity type one?

Is yours the Huawei E367?

Oh & which router are you using?

Yes it it that dongle, zoom router from maplin, used on 12 volts.

1392049383.png

Edited by Scooby

how much a month does it cost

We bought the dongle on its own for £34.99 and put in an existing Three SIM - which is a contract, 15GB a month for £15 - think it's a little more than that now, got this contract a year ago.

Cool. Just need to find out now if it will work in my wireless router (billion 7402GXL).

I am thinking that I can upgrade to the new one for about £2 per month more than the old one but have to sign up for another 24 months.

We bought the dongle on its own for £34.99 and put in an existing Three SIM - which is a contract, 15GB a month for £15 - think it's a little more than that now, got this contract a year ago.

Where did you get if from?

Cool. Just need to find out now if it will work in my wireless router (billion 7402GXL).

I am thinking that I can upgrade to the new one for about £2 per month more than the old one but have to sign up for another 24 months.

I am still under contract till january, you can just goto the 3 shop and buy it for £34.99 and use existing sim like i am. Took me an hour to swap. Just plug it in.

I got it from a Three shop (stores are usually in all large city centres). I went into the shop, asked if it had an ariel socket, then asked to see it to check and then asked if I could put my existing Three contract SIM, which has 12 months left on the contract, into the new dongle. The anwser was yes so I bought one (for £34.99).

Edited by Bodkin

Does anyone know if the fast 3 dongle will work with Ubuntu?

Try it & let us know.

You could also install Win 7 with dual boot.

Another option, install Wubi under Win 7. This gives you full Ubuntu installation with dual boot within Win 7 OS. This in turn allows quick uninstall.

Remove ubuntu install windows 7 :)

Try it & let us know.

You could also install Win 7 with dual boot.

Another option, install Wubi under Win 7. This gives you full Ubuntu installation with dual boot within Win 7 OS. This in turn allows quick uninstall.

This is surreal ....

Why would I want to bother with any version of Windows ??

Why would I want to have to switch to Windows whenever I wanted to use my dongle ????

Why would I want to waste money on a dongle just to see if it works ??????

Use a router then your OS type does not matter.

And how much power does the router use?

And they are a PITA to set up compared with plugging in the dongle and clicking once for the UK and once for 3

And how much does a router cost?

Edited by Robin2

And how much power does the router use?

And they are a PITA to set up compared with plugging in the dongle and clicking once for the UK and once for 3

And how much does a router cost?

We leave ours plugged in to a socket and the external aerial, just switch the socket on and press the button, then connect from anywhere in the boat, saves having wire all over the shop. We do leave our inverter on 24/7 which does help with convenience, can't recall how much power it uses, runs from a 200ma power source but uses less than that I think. Ours cost about £60 IIRCC.

We leave ours plugged in to a socket and the external aerial, just switch the socket on and press the button, then connect from anywhere in the boat, saves having wire all over the shop. We do leave our inverter on 24/7 which does help with convenience, can't recall how much power it uses, runs from a 200ma power source but uses less than that I think. Ours cost about £60 IIRCC.

Sorry - I haven't been clear enough.

I don't want a router

I don't want to spend £60 that is unnecessary

I might buy a faster dongle if it works with Ubuntu as easily as my present dongle and if it is faster than my present dongle at every location.

If any forum member has tried the fast dongle with Ubuntu I would appreciate hearing from him or her.

This is surreal ....

Why would I want to bother with any version of Windows ??

Why would I want to have to switch to Windows whenever I wanted to use my dongle ????

Why would I want to waste money on a dongle just to see if it works ??????

Only you know the answer to that so why ask others? :rolleyes:

BTW most smartphones with suitable app or laptop under Windows ;) can be configured as a WiFi hotspot to distribute your 3G Internet connection.

Edited by richardhula

HSDPA dongle from 3

On the edge of cover near Peterborough

1391130646.png

m@

Better now, I opened the curtains!

1392760288.png

One would need to do several tests at each of several times of the day for several days to get any statistically significant results, ................

m@