Warwickshire Ring

Chalky

Featured Posts

I'm planning our summer holiday and we're thinking about doing the Warwickshire ring clockwise. I'm after any comments about good / bad places to stop, bandit country, where we can keep 3 children amused (9,11,13) and any other thoughts. I'd appreciate any comments about stopping overnight in the centre of Brum - it's been suggested that we could probably over night safely in some of the loops that have no towpath. We're aiming to do it in about 9 days in August. Our usual trips are on the South Oxford / GU, so we're not used to big city boating.

I've searched the forum and the only relevant pages are about 3 years old so I'm after an update.

Thanks

Dave

... good / bad places to stop,... comments about stopping overnight in the centre of Brum

Here and here are useful resources on mooring in Birmingham

... bandit country, ... suggested that we could probably over night safely in some of the loops that have no towpath.

We have moored often in Birmingham just where we happened-to-be when it rained or got dark - without ever feeling uncomfortable. People do use this 'bandit country' term - but it assumes there are some bandits out there who for some reason target canals, and I don't think the evidence supports this: there are certainly some unpleasant events which nobody would wish on fellow boaters, but seeing them as a orchestrated campaign would be a mistake (imho). Similarly retiring to an inaccessible towpathless loop overnight would miss out on a super evening of whatever-you-all-enjoy in England's Second City.

... where we can keep 3 children amused (9,11,13)

There's a good cinema complex at Fiveways close to Sheepcote Street Bridge (Main Line just along the canal from Sea Life Centre) and I'm sure that nice Harry Potter chappie would be pleased to take your money :-) or the Symphony Hall is a bit more highbrow and there might be something that attracts you at the National Indoor Arena We have enjoyed an afternoon around the Jewellery Quarter There really is something for everyone.

First the route. Not sure where you are starting from, But I certainly advise when arriving at Kingswood, you take the North stratford route rather than the GU. There are two reasons for this, one, you avoid the rather disreputable area from Knowle into the city. Two, you end up in a much better place in Birmingham by doing so.

You also go right past the doors of Cabury World and the Sealife Centre. both of which should entertain the kids. They also might be fascinated by going "under" a lot of big buildings whilst descending Farmer's Bridge flight. You would miss all of these by going up the GU route. Drop them off south of Shrewley Tunnel and let them take the separate Horse Tunnel and meet you at the other end. There are displays at the Hatton flight which may also interest them.

From your point of view, I assume you are familiar with the Braunston area and it's attractions. Before you get to Leamington, you will encounter the most inefficient staircase locks on the system. At one point it wastes a half lock of water servicing one boat! However it is a staircase lock and the only one on on the ring. At Kingswood you have the choice of two locks with a cottage in between them to join the SOA Canal. either take the "proper" lock on the right or take the "cutting" on the left and rise in the lock round the corner.

Mooring is pretty safe all round the ring with the following exceptions.

a) The centre of Leamington, although it is OK after Nelson Lane Wharf (Kate Boats) You might even get an overnight mooring in the Saltisford Arm.

b)The Kings Norton junction area I believe there are moorings opposite Cadbury's but never used them myself. You will probably run into Gas Street area from there anyway. Anywhere in the centre is good. Cambrian Wharf particularly so. But I would happily moor anywhere in the Gas Street, Symphony Court or NIA area. Occasionally you hear stories about revellers rocking boats on their way home, but it never happened to us.

c) Going out of the city do not consider mooring overnight anywhere from the top of Farmer's Bridge flight until you get to Wigginshill Road Bridge (before the Curdworth Tunnel). There is (was?) a pub there that served passable family meals. I forget the name of it but you can't miss it. If the wind is in the South, you might get a whiff of Minworth Water Treatment plant. This place is where many boats heading for Birmingham spend the night.

d) The only other place I would tell you to actively avoid mooring over night is Nuneaton.

The Kids may be fascinated by going under "Spaghetti Junction" and another building which goes over the canal but is open on one side. BTW the water point at Fazeley is a couple of hundred yards in the "wrong" direction with plenty of room to turn. There are occasionally some self important "mooring supervisors" At Fazeley who try to impose their wishes on you. The last I heard BW were trying to rid themselves of them as the local council have no jurisdiction over BW visitor moorings. (perhaps someone who has been there lately can advise).

The 180deg turn at Hawkesbury is chance for the rest of the crew to laugh at Dad when he gets it wrong. (Of COURSE it can be done!)

Lots to see around the ring. If you are interested, and have time, a ride around the Loops off the main line gives you an insight into how important the canal was to Birmingham.

I hope this gives you a taste for the ring - Enjoy it, - We did many times.

Tony.

Not a lot a add over what Tony has said in his very comprehensive post.

Unless you want to actually avoid the centre of Birmingham do go the North Stratford route. If you want to be cautious then plan to get to the top of the Lapworth flight at the end of a day, then you have a straight run into the centre of Birmingham the next day. If you want to get as close a possible to Birmingham before stopping, then just before Dickens Heath (where I live!) is a good spot, and consider the area by Shirley Lift Bridge to be the last overnight stopping point.

On the approach to Birmingham ignore the moorings around Salvage Turn, not that there is anything wrong with mooring there just that it is very busy and on Fir/Sat night in particular will be noisy most of the night. Go under Broad Street Tunnel and past Brindley Place/ICC to Old Turn Junction. From here on the Main Line there are good moorings both sides (in a combination of 24hr/48hr/14day), although my choice is to the left on the Oozells Street Loop, try to get in the centre section, the vertical slats in the wall at each end are aircon outlets so a little noisy. The towpath on the Oozells Street loop does not go anywhere really so the only people going past will be the half hourly patrol from Brindley Place security.

Try and take a couple of hours for a trip down the New Main Line and back, with 9 days you do have time to explore a bit.

On the way out aim for the Dog & Doublet pub or perhaps a few locks above it for the night and walk down to this great pub.

First the route. Not sure where you are starting from, But I certainly advise when arriving at Kingswood, you take the North stratford route rather than the GU. There are two reasons for this, one, you avoid the rather disreputable area from Knowle into the city. Two, you end up in a much better place in Birmingham by doing so.

You also go right past the doors of Cabury World and the Sealife Centre. both of which should entertain the kids. They also might be fascinated by going "under" a lot of big buildings whilst descending Farmer's Bridge flight. You would miss all of these by going up the GU route. Drop them off south of Shrewley Tunnel and let them take the separate Horse Tunnel and meet you at the other end. There are displays at the Hatton flight which may also interest them.

From your point of view, I assume you are familiar with the Braunston area and it's attractions. Before you get to Leamington, you will encounter the most inefficient staircase locks on the system. At one point it wastes a half lock of water servicing one boat! However it is a staircase lock and the only one on on the ring. At Kingswood you have the choice of two locks with a cottage in between them to join the SOA Canal. either take the "proper" lock on the right or take the "cutting" on the left and rise in the lock round the corner.

Mooring is pretty safe all round the ring with the following exceptions.

a) The centre of Leamington, although it is OK after Nelson Lane Wharf (Kate Boats) You might even get an overnight mooring in the Saltisford Arm.

b)The Kings Norton junction area I believe there are moorings opposite Cadbury's but never used them myself. You will probably run into Gas Street area from there anyway. Anywhere in the centre is good. Cambrian Wharf particularly so. But I would happily moor anywhere in the Gas Street, Symphony Court or NIA area. Occasionally you hear stories about revellers rocking boats on their way home, but it never happened to us.

c) Going out of the city do not consider mooring overnight anywhere from the top of Farmer's Bridge flight until you get to Wigginshill Road Bridge (before the Curdworth Tunnel). There is (was?) a pub there that served passable family meals. I forget the name of it but you can't miss it. If the wind is in the South, you might get a whiff of Minworth Water Treatment plant. This place is where many boats heading for Birmingham spend the night.

d) The only other place I would tell you to actively avoid mooring over night is Nuneaton.

Tony.

I was once pelted with rotten fruit in Gas St/Cambrian Wharf area and stoned by youths at Selly Oak, but have passed through Solihul many times without issue. Time wise, there's little difference from Kingswood to Gas St, whichever route you take. I would enjoy the Farmers Bridge flight both ways, it's one of my favorite lock flights.

Have spent the night in Nuneaton in 'Nuneaton' a couple of times too. Can't speak for Leamington as I've always overnighted at 'The Cape', but, short of Tescos the town mostly turns its back on the canal.

Dog in a Doublet is a good overnight mooring, part way up Curdworth flight. Polesworth's a pleasant place too. We've found Fazeley has little to offer the discerning ale drinker. Atherston has the excellent Church End Brewery Tap, but it's a taxi ride away.

Suttons Stop/Greyhound is a must in my book. Brinklow has good ale but is quite a hike to the pub. Rugby has excellent facilities, but the good ale pubs are a taxi ride away. Highly recommend 'The Merchants'?

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I would recommend a visit to Leamington, a great place to visit. The Saltisford Arm is the place to moor in Warwick. I too prefer GU mainline to Lapworth. Never had any problems on either.

• 4 weeks later...

Did this (out of Rugby using a hire boat) last April - 7 days. Timelapse video at http://rgstocker.blogspot.com/2011/07/warwickshire-ring-canal-holiday-april.html (first attempt at this - not too bad I thought once I remembered to check the battery, 90% of journey filmed). We used the GU through Brum - moored on the new moorings at Star City - no problems here. Another good place (secure but ugly) is just before the flight in Brum - by the BW premises - very nice shower facilities and fully secured (as much as anything is). After that its narrow locks all the way. The GU in Birmingham was filthy and we got stuck in one of the locks by rubbish. Fairly nice weather though and pretty hot for the Hatton flight.

Not a lot a add over what Tony has said in his very comprehensive post.

Unless you want to actually avoid the centre of Birmingham do go the North Stratford route. If you want to be cautious then plan to get to the top of the Lapworth flight at the end of a day, then you have a straight run into the centre of Birmingham the next day. If you want to get as close a possible to Birmingham before stopping, then just before Dickens Heath (where I live!) is a good spot, and consider the area by Shirley Lift Bridge to be the last overnight stopping point.

On the approach to Birmingham ignore the moorings around Salvage Turn, not that there is anything wrong with mooring there just that it is very busy and on Fir/Sat night in particular will be noisy most of the night. Go under Broad Street Tunnel and past Brindley Place/ICC to Old Turn Junction. From here on the Main Line there are good moorings both sides (in a combination of 24hr/48hr/14day), although my choice is to the left on the Oozells Street Loop, try to get in the centre section, the vertical slats in the wall at each end are aircon outlets so a little noisy. The towpath on the Oozells Street loop does not go anywhere really so the only people going past will be the half hourly patrol from Brindley Place security.

Try and take a couple of hours for a trip down the New Main Line and back, with 9 days you do have time to explore a bit.

On the way out aim for the Dog & Doublet pub or perhaps a few locks above it for the night and walk down to this great pub.

Thanks for your suggestions which were very helpful - we were lucky enough to moor on the Oozells loop which was great and so was the Dog and Doublet!