Cost of Gas Install

MattA

Featured Posts

Has anybody had any recent quotes for the install of gas pipework and fittings in a boat? How much should I be expecting to pay for bottles, auto changeover, pipe install and connection to cooker?

Any guide would be useful just to make sure I don't get quoted a silly price.

Cheers,

Matt

The bottles you usually get yourself from a local hardware store - don't pay canal side or petrol station prices!!

Make sure you find a seller where you dont need to leave a deposit either. You may find that calor is only available when cruising so it may be worth having at least 1 of these brand (the gas is the same!) so you can exchange the bottle when you need to.

You will need calor bottles in order to change them while out cruising. I dont know the exeact price bul calor will want to charge you about £20 + just for the bottle. You can however pick up bottles free at your local rubbish centre where they are usually separated along with other re cylicing materials, you may need to ask before you take or even give the operator a fiver to take one, you could give him your number to give you a call when they have some in. This is how Calor get a lot back, they check them over then re issue them

Charles

Hi Matt, I had my gas totally redone about a year ago and all in all I paid just under £500. Ripped out all the dodgy old pipes and put down a new pipe connecting the cooker. Expensive, but worth having done properly. If you decide not to go for a corgi certified person, make sure you do it according to BSC standards. They are very anal about gas, which is probably a very good thing.

Matt.

It all depends how competent and confident you are, strictly speaking there is no reason that you cannot do the installation yourself. The rule is the installation must be carried out competently.

Get a copy of the BSS guide and use that as your bible. Buy all the various components as the book advises including compression fittings, test point etc. If you are not totally confident get a gas fitter to test everything out.

Or pay someone £500 to do it all for you.

Has anybody had any recent quotes for the install of gas pipework and fittings in a boat? How much should I be expecting to pay for bottles, auto changeover, pipe install and connection to cooker?

Any guide would be useful just to make sure I don't get quoted a silly price.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I just installed the gas line in my 50ft N/B two weeks ago, the cost was as follows:

10mtrs 5/16 gaspipe, bubble tester, propane double manual change-over regulator, 1mtr flexible cooker hose & 5/16 gas fittings for gas line - £130 from my local Chandlers. 13kg Propane cylinder £16:49 (changed from a 4.5kg Butane cylinder). This is just one line into the boat for the cooker, nothing else.

I did all the installation myself even though I hate gas with a passion!! But the bubble tester is excellent and very reassuring to be able to test the system whenever you wish. Even so I added a 12v Gas Alarm from eBay £38 on top of the above costs, just to be sure everything is OK!!

Hope this helps,

Andy

Yeah, for the gas bottles, listen to the others.

- Its very hard to get any of the calor deposite back, so a lot of unwanted botttles turn up to refuse centres, which then have a lot of dificutty geting rid of them!

We use calor bottles, becuase even tho there a bit more to get refilled, calor are really the only firm with a canal-side presents.

- If you use a lot of gas, and have room for 3/4bottles and access to a car. (ie, widebeam liveaboard or simular) then i might be worth it, but otherwise, i'd stick to calor.

Also, on the auto-changeover valve. I personally wouldnt bother.

- We just have the normal "T" with two non-return valves, and control which bottle we use from the valves on the top of the bottles.

- The minor incovence of having to to swap it over is nothing conpaired to hassle of running out when you in the middle of know where!

- We cook with bottled propaine (2*47kg) at home, and have an auto-changeover. The bottle last about 6months, but still we have run out about twice that i can remember.

Daniel