The boat with the electric oven

Featured Posts

Since there has been so much interest in the boat with the electric oven in the July edition of Canal Boat I wonder if it has occurred to anyone else how little storage space it seems to have?

I have far more storage space on my boat and and would like more and there is only me.

Since there has been so much interest in the boat with the electric oven in the July edition of Canal Boat I wonder if it has occurred to anyone else how little storage space it seems to have?

I have far more storage space on my boat and and would like more and there is only me.

I dunno. There's a couple of spare shelves inside that oven.

IF I had a boat of any description at all to live on (which I hope is not a too far distance dream), my personal preference would be for an MF Rayburn. A multi-fueller is a little work-horse and will provide hot water, heating, cooking and clothes drying and will run on anything you can throw in its fire box! I appreciate something like that requires a bit of work and attention (maybe 15 minutes over 24 hours; not a lot really), but you can't beat them for independence, economy and the social aspect.

IF I had a boat of any description at all to live on (which I hope is not a too far distance dream), my personal preference would be for an MF Rayburn. A multi-fueller is a little work-horse and will provide hot water, heating, cooking and clothes drying and will run on anything you can throw in its fire box! I appreciate something like that requires a bit of work and attention (maybe 15 minutes over 24 hours; not a lot really), but you can't beat them for independence, economy and the social aspect.

Had a quick look at Rayburns, they seem to be £3000 to £4000 a pop. Are there any cheaper options?

Had a quick look at Rayburns, they seem to be £3000 to £4000 a pop. Are there any cheaper options?

Yes yes, definitely. You can pick up a very cheap Rayburn on eBay! The one I have in my kitchen at home is one of the smaller MF (multi fuel) models which has a double hot plate, a large top oven and small lower warming oven and it only cost me £400! Just needed to be put into position and a flu attaching. If there is a ready to go chimney, all the better.

We have a gas cooker with oven on the boat and at home, however the boats oven has always been a pain seeming to take a lot longer to cook than the oven at home. Couple of years ago we came upon one of these halogen ovens.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=halogen+oven&sqi=2&cid=10776762387062065123#p

since getting it the main oven at home has been made redundant, this cooks anything you can cook in a conventional oven + much more. As we're on shore line we'v bought one for the boat too and have been using it for over a year. It is more energy efficient than a standard oven as basically it cooks things much quicker. Loads of other benefits like being counter top, able to see your food cooking, you can take it outside to cook; easy to clean, storable etc

If I was to enable enough power to run an electric oven whilst cruising it would be one of these and not a conventional one I would go for.

We have a gas cooker with oven on the boat and at home, however the boats oven has always been a pain seeming to take a lot longer to cook than the oven at home. Couple of years ago we came upon one of these halogen ovens.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=halogen+oven&sqi=2&cid=10776762387062065123#p

since getting it the main oven at home has been made redundant, this cooks anything you can cook in a conventional oven + much more. As we're on shore line we'v bought one for the boat too and have been using it for over a year. It is more energy efficient than a standard oven as basically it cooks things much quicker. Loads of other benefits like being counter top, able to see your food cooking, you can take it outside to cook; easy to clean, storable etc

If I was to enable enough power to run an electric oven whilst cruising it would be one of these and not a conventional one I would go for.

I've also had a halogen oven... in fact I've had 2... the second one being a replacement for the first because it died. When the second one also died I gave up, thinking I would try one again in a few years time when manufacturers have had time to iron out the problems and make them more robust so that the ovens will last longer.

A very good concept, however... space saving and energy saving too. Having said that, a halogen oven doesn't quite come up to the mark comparing it to the abilities of the Rayburn.

Edited by Carrotcake

I've also had a halogen oven... in fact I've had 2... the second one being a replacement for the first because it died. When the second one also died I gave up, thinking I would try one again in a few years time when manufacturers have had time to iron out the problems and make them more robust so that the ovens will last longer.

A very good concept, however... space saving and energy saving too. Having said that, a halogen oven doesn't quite come up to the mark comparing it to the abilities of the Rayburn.

We had one die also, just out of warranty LOL, the timer failed, there is definitely room for improvement though like you say, the metal disc below the heat light rusts also, this really should be made from non ferrous material, we ensure it's cleaned and dried regularly to halt any rust.

there are newer versions out now that look much better so when the next one fails hopefully there's a more reliable replacement. But for the money around 50 squid, the pro's for us far out weigh the cons by quite a factor especially as it;s used almost daily.