Bulls Bridge

onionbargee

Featured Posts

If it's anything like the house at Bulbourne, it will be left to decay, be vandalised, and stripped of lead and cast guttering (despite still being a working yard with local residents), and likely eventually sold off along with the rest of the Waterways family jewels. In the case of Bulbourne, that could possibly mean the entire site sold complete with listed buildings (which vandals just love) as access is only through the yard.

Would a charity status turn these buildings into local management offices? Do Pigs have wings?

Very sad.

It happens all over - not getting these guys down though ...

Glass museum could rise from the ashes 9:20am Thursday 16th June 2011 Stourbridge News

A FIRE-HIT former Wordsley glassworks earmarked to become a top museum can be saved, a new report has revealed, but developers fear further arson attacks could shatter the ambitious plan.

sn21stuartfire3_312WJPGdisplay.jpg

The Stuart Crystal factory in Camp Hill went up in flames last month after being targetted by vandals - sparking fears the historic buildings would have to be demolished and big plans to turn the site into a tourist spot featuring the borough's glass collection would have to be shelved. But a report by engineers has revealed the grade II listed buildings can be saved and the ambitious museum plan is still viable.

David Freer, of Complex Development Projects, which owns the site, is hopeful the project can still go ahead but he fears for the safety of the buildings which have become a magnet for vandals. He said: “The report is optimistic that the buildings have been saved. “The fire damage is going to add to the costs but we don’t see it detracting from the plans at all. What I’m concerned about is more arson attacks - I’m also concerned about the vulnerable nature of the site and the frequency that people have called us to let us know we have got intruders. We have bricked up openings and over the course of time they have been demolished again. The canal has even been dammed so the kids can get across to the site. It’s very disappointing. This is by far the worst site we have in the country - in terms of the persistence of those that break in. There’s a good work ethic in the area but I think when the kids are bored their work ethic becomes a damage ethic - it’s really sad. We are doing everything we can to protect these buildings but it is not easy. We can’t afford full-time security - the cost is just excessive.” He said he hopes to set up a meeting with police to discuss the problem.

In the meantime the report on the site has been passed to Dudley Council. If the museum plan goes ahead - the former glassworks will be converted into a top attraction with a tunnel linking it to the Red House Glass Cone across the road. The project has the backing of the British Glass Foundation - set up to preserve the glass collection at Kingswinford’s Broadfield House Glass Museum. Dudley Council leader, councillor Les Jones, and Dudley South MP Chris Kelly are also keen to see the scheme go ahead Mr Kelly said: ”Whilst it is regrettable the site will be prone to mindless acts of vandalism I am pleased that in this instance the buildings are by and large saved. “I look forward to assisting in any way I can to help the council safeguard the borough’s glass heritage."