Braunston

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Anybody know how the stoppages on the Braunston flight are doing? Works due to finish on the 17th of March.... I'm chomping at the bit here to get this boat delivered :lol:

My boat is currently moored just below Braunston Bottom Lock outside Union Carriers minus it's engine and gearbox which are being re-built at the moment. When I was up there a couple of weeks ago the work seemed to be progressing very slowly with a lot of problems along the way. The general view at the time was that it could run a couple of weeks late and that was before the heavy rain! I am phoning UCC for an update on the re-build tomorrow, I will try and find out how work on the locks is progressing.

Edited by David Schweizer

I spoke to Jonathon the engineer at UCC this morning, and a bit like the re-build on my engine, work on the back pump installation at Bottom Lock is progressing slowly. I hope to be visiting the boat some time next week so I may get a better idea of when the canal will be re-opening from the site engineer. I will let you know.

Thanks for that David, I might have a drive up there on Monday and pretend to be a Gongoozler (sp) :lol:

If you look at page 58 of the April Waterways World there is a picture of the work in progress at Bottom Lock. If you look hard you can see my boat (the one with the Cratch board) lying outside on the towpath side, facing the camera. Look even harder, and in the top right hand corner you can just see the roof of the shed where she was built 24 years ago.

popped down there this morning and the approach to the bottom lock is completely filled in! They have got there work cut out to get it open by next Friday. I shall set off from Gayton on Thursday and join the queue. I'll have a look out for your boat when I eventually get through.

popped down there this morning and the approach to the bottom lock is completely filled in! They have got there work cut out to get it open by next Friday. I shall set off from Gayton on Thursday and join the queue. I'll have a look out for your boat when I eventually get through.

The progress is being followed here -

http://www.braunston.org.uk/

I've been to Wharf House Chandlery today at the bottom lock at about 1 o'clock and the cut was still completely blocked with earth even though much of it has been taken away.

It will probably only take a couple of hours to clear the block but the back pumping installation the other side still looks very much like a work in progress.

The progress is being followed here -

http://www.braunston.org.uk/

I've been to Wharf House Chandlery today at the bottom lock at about 1 o'clock and the cut was still completely blocked with earth even though much of it has been taken away.

It will probably only take a couple of hours to clear the block but the back pumping installation the other side still looks very much like a work in progress.

We must have passed each other Chris, I have just got back from Braunston, having spent the last two days at Bottom Lock painting the engine box on my boat whilst the engine is out for a re-build, I was actually in Wharf House Chandlery about 1 pm today. I was the bearded individual wearing a boiler suit with a green fleece on top to keep out the biting easterly wind.

Back to the lock, the Morrison's workforce have been working their butts off the last couple of days to clear all the infill from the lock entrance ( they only got the bank piling in yesterday afternoon!) They are confidently assuring everyone that the lock will be open by Saturday, especially Union Canal Carriers who have two boats in the Dry dock (the other side of the lock) which are out on hire first thing Monday morning.

When I left about 3pm this afternoon, they had got rid of all the clay infill, and were just starting to remove the scalpings which lay under the vehicle access to the opposite bank, and the pump had just been lifted onto a BW workboat, so I guess that they will make it by the skin of their teeth

Edited by David Schweizer