What SHOULD the rules be for mooring

mayalld

Featured Posts

Surely the highest priority should be enforcing the rules on water points, bridge holes, and lock landings? Then BW can branch out to urban hotspots and busy locations after that?

Where are all these overstayers? I never see them, but maybe that's because I'm too busy enjoying cruising.

The other day I moored up on a 48 hour mooring and within half an hour some busybody had come out of her house and was noting down my reg number. When I challenged her she said that she was fed up with scruffy boats overstaying outside of her house. It makes you wonder why these people buy a canal side home! What difference does it make to her if it's one boat for 14 days or 7 boats for 2 days each - I suppose she could be hoping only to have nice tidy shiny boats with quiet owners who don't run their engines. Maybe when she gets one of those she encourages them to over stay!

If I had not needed to be elsewhere I would have overstayed just to p*ss her off.

The only problem is in the minds of some boaters who never go anywhere and resent that they have to pay extra for doing so.

The rules are perfectly clear and substantial enough at the moment. If you overstay, you will be asked to move on fairly quickly and if you don't and really take the p*ss, BW will end up taking you to court and you'll have to give up boating.

That bit might require refinement.

However, the intent is that whilst there is a presumption against returning to a place without visiting other places, there should also be a way of doing so that allows for reversals of direction, but limits how often that can be done.

I think this, and the OP are excellent proposals Dave. Exactly what is needed.

I'd be a bit harsher on the 7*12 hours though. I'd make it 7*2 weeks to ensure a minimum 3 month circuit (or any 'no return with x months' clause, which could vary in different areas, according to the preferences of local councils and traders who might want a semi-mobile community in the area).

I suspect you were trying to find a way to facilitate weekenders, but this rule would accommodate them fine - they use up their allowances in 2 days chunks and then it resets. It might be wise to include some advisory that weekenders should take care not to plonk themselves on the same prime spot every weekend, if it's in popular demand (who cares, if it isn't?), but that can be left to conscience, I think. Most boaters are fairly considerate really - it's more a question of communication and knowing where others are coming from.

Great thread and proposals.

In this day and age it would be feasible to chip everyone who owns a boat.

Then the patrol officers could use a scanner, while they are carrying out routine strip searches.

Strip searches you say? The boys in the uniforms, you mean? I thought the incentive was to discourage over-staying ...? :closedeyes:

Chip me up, big boy. :wub:

Am I the only one who does not think there is a big problem. As I am always on the move so I do not have favorite moorings, but then it does not bother me if I have to walk to get to the pub or shops. I prefer to be in the countryside most of the time with occasional visits to towns and cities. I am presently moored at Paddington Basin and have to say there are plenty of mooring spots even though I was told it would be difficult to find a mooring.

but..but... London is fully clogged up with bridge hoppers, and cm'rs... That's what the doom sayers allways say.

Perhaps, is it possible, that the problem is not as bad as presented by some?

Am I the only one who does not think there is a big problem. As I am always on the move so I do not have favorite moorings, but then it does not bother me if I have to walk to get to the pub or shops. I prefer to be in the countryside most of the time with occasional visits to towns and cities. I am presently moored at Paddington Basin and have to say there are plenty of mooring spots even though I was told it would be difficult to find a mooring.

No, you're not the only one who doesn't think there is a big problem. Don't believe all you read on the CanalWorld forums. I've never found a mooring at Camden, but then, I'm never that keen to stay there anyway so to me it's no huge loss. The problem there is the very small mooring stretch. I've had to do some creative mooring at Islington a couple of times but have always managed to find space.

Enjoy your overcrowded London visit with the London Boaters :)

I think this, and the OP are excellent proposals Dave. Exactly what is needed.

I'd be a bit harsher on the 7*12 hours though. I'd make it 7*2 weeks to ensure a minimum 3 month circuit (or any 'no return with x months' clause, which could vary in different areas, according to the preferences of local councils and traders who might want a semi-mobile community in the area).

I suspect you were trying to find a way to facilitate weekenders, but this rule would accommodate them fine - they use up their allowances in 2 days chunks and then it resets. It might be wise to include some advisory that weekenders should take care not to plonk themselves on the same prime spot every weekend, if it's in popular demand (who cares, if it isn't?), but that can be left to conscience, I think. Most boaters are fairly considerate really - it's more a question of communication and knowing where others are coming from.

Great thread and proposals.

Could you clarify what you mean by the term "weekenders"

I suspect that you are using it to refer to boaters who have a permanent mooring, and go out on the boat for the weekend, whilst it is more usually used to refer to CCers who don't live on board, but come down to the baot every weekend, move for two days, then lock it up and leave it for the week whilst they return home.

Could you clarify what you mean by the term "weekenders"

I suspect that you are using it to refer to boaters who have a permanent mooring, and go out on the boat for the weekend, whilst it is more usually used to refer to CCers who don't live on board, but come down to the baot every weekend, move for two days, then lock it up and leave it for the week whilst they return home.

Yes! Sorry - forgot about the CCer weekenders.

I do mean those who use their boats most weekends and have a general plan of mooring up next to a decent pub for a couple of days. I can't see why that should be restricted, except at local discretion if it causes problems for other visitors - but these things tend to sort themselves out without bureaucracy, so yes, I mean it to allow this whilst not allowing CCers to do similar.