March Sanitation Point to be shut down by Fenland Hall

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

That Fenland hall are to close the Sanitation Point on the Old River Nene in March. The site is located Off Grays Lane, By the town bridge and is run by Fenland Hall.

This has been a rummor for some time, I had been informed by the council that site was under review and subject to consultation. It has come to light that the council hadalready decided to close the site, but delayed until after 5th May, as this was a vote losing subject. And that council staff was under orders to misinform people on the subject.

The council lied to me as well as the Middle Level Waterman club and the IWA. The council claim that a pump needs to be replaced and that it would cost £25000, I made enquires to a number of pump makers and the true cost is around £2500.

The council state 'boaters' can use Foxes (£16). The pump-out is located on the hireboat mooring so access is very limited and you get no pumpout on a Turnround day. People who have been to the Fens will know its very windy round here. If the wind gets above 15 knots getting into and out of Foxes is pain.

The only easy access water point can be found at the Five Bells Mooring on Well Creek, Water point previded by the Well Creek Trust. The key is in the Pub and is a £1 per tank (The trust do need to pay the water bill). The trash

point is at Outwell Basin (Again payed for by the trust). Easy access pump-outs at Ely and Peterbrough.

Firesprite

In the Office

I hate to say it, but the sooner the legalities are sorted and the MLC can charge a license fee, the better. At least once boaters are having to pay the MLC they'll be in a position to demand facilities and maintenance. Personally, I'd go for dredging Well Creek and a water point at Salter's Lode before re-opening the facilities as March. It looks horrible and I've never used it.

MP.

Edited to add: I know the March facilities are provided by the council, not the MLC. I think the council is a lost cause, and we'd be better going through the Commissioners.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 1

Given the current state of the MLCs finances following the Wiggenhall pump construction and the building of their new offices in March, I would suggest it is doubtful that the receipts from any license fee would be applied to the construction and provision of boat facilities., more likely the money would be applied to reducing their substantial debts. Personally, I think I would be reluctant to contribute a license fee to an authority which provides no facilities in return - the old chicken and egg. As many craft do not venture off the Middle Levels onto EA-controlled rivers I can only assume there will be much dumping of rubbish and effluent directly into the water. The bend at Well Creek already resembles a public rubbish tip.

For most of last year the EA facilities on the Ouse at Ely were out of order, due to "consistent abuse" according to the chappie I spoke to at the EA. Despite EA pronouncements over the years to improve facilities on the Ouse nothing has actually been done.

• Greenie 1

Personally, I'd go for dredging Well Creek and a water point at Salter's Lode before re-opening the facilities as March. It looks horrible and I've never used it.

MP.

Why a water point at Salter's Lode? Is there not a water point at Denver.? March is well used.

As many craft do not venture off the Middle Levels onto EA-controlled rivers I can only assume there will be much dumping of rubbish and effluent directly into the water. The bend at Well Creek already resembles a public rubbish tip.

Since EA introduced the 7 day and 1 day tickets. The result of which is a big increase in the number of boats based on the middle level going out on to the nene for week or a weekend. Often now on a friday poor Tiny is run off her feet with the sheer number going through out on to the river. If you price it right you will get a increase in fee income. As for investment most has been on the Nene the last few years.

Firesprite

Boston

Given the current state of the MLCs finances following the Wiggenhall pump construction and the building of their new offices in March, I would suggest it is doubtful that the receipts from any license fee would be applied to the construction and provision of boat facilities., more likely the money would be applied to reducing their substantial debts. Personally, I think I would be reluctant to contribute a license fee to an authority which provides no facilities in return - the old chicken and egg. As many craft do not venture off the Middle Levels onto EA-controlled rivers I can only assume there will be much dumping of rubbish and effluent directly into the water. The bend at Well Creek already resembles a public rubbish tip.

For most of last year the EA facilities on the Ouse at Ely were out of order, due to "consistent abuse" according to the chappie I spoke to at the EA. Despite EA pronouncements over the years to improve facilities on the Ouse nothing has actually been done.

Isn't there a couple of locks that you can take your boat through if you want to paid for by the MLC, surly that is not a bad facility ?

Why a water point at Salter's Lode? Is there not a water point at Denver.? March is well used.

There is a water point at Denver, it's a bit inconvenient to get to and for a narrowboat involves mooring across the slipway, which can inconvenience others who want to use the slipway.

The main reason for wanting a point at Salter's Lode is simply that you have to stop there anyway, to wait for the tide and the call from Paul. A tap at each of the moorings would make it easy to fill up whilst waiting.

MP.