Cost of batteries

leechy

Featured Posts

Hi folks

After your previous good advice ,now need to buy wet cell baterries for my new bank.Can anyone recommend where to buy some or a specific brand or size

I was planning on say 5 x ( maybe 6 x )110 - 120 amp hours as this size will fit perfectly on shelf that sits on my swim taper .

At the moment my best deal is £47.00 each for Exide 115 amps ,collect only.

Cheers

Hi Leechy.

That price sounds near to as good as you can get. Try to build around a common easy to obtain size remember they will have to be replaced at some time. I never bother too much about particular makes, many seem to be badged anyway. In a similar way warranties don't seem to be worth much, they all have a sliding scale very much to the benefit of the supplier.

Hi folks

After your previous good advice ,now need to buy wet cell baterries for my new bank.Can anyone recommend where to buy some or a specific brand or size

I was planning on say 5 x ( maybe 6 x )110 - 120 amp hours as this size will fit perfectly on shelf that sits on my swim taper .

At the moment my best deal is £47.00 each for Exide 115 amps ,collect only.

Cheers

Cor! where was that to? I'm looking at £62 for Exides down 'ere in the west!

Jill

There's a firm in the street where I work that reconditions batteries. Big boys' batteries, HGV, milk floats, industrial applications etc. They reckon they can provide reconditioned leisure ones with a 12 month guarantee (back to base) for £30 each - want me to investigate further? North Manchester area.

There's a firm in the street where I work that reconditions batteries. Big boys' batteries, HGV, milk floats, industrial applications etc. They reckon they can provide reconditioned leisure ones with a 12 month guarantee (back to base) for £30 each - want me to investigate further? North Manchester area.

Cheers Alec

If you wouldnt mind having a look that would be great ,Manchester not too far for me either.

Thanks boys, north Manchester a bit too far for me (tho' it is lovely). Will try feminine wiles on local motor factor as I need four.

Although, on second thoughts, will probably send in a bloke 'cos my cars just seem to cost a lot when I take them to be serviced .....

Jil

Cor! where was that to? I'm looking at £62 for Exides down 'ere in the west!

Jill

You need to shop around. I bought a new unbadged 110 amp Starter battery from a tyre Depot in Trowbridge for £41 last year. I could have got an Exide for £45.

Edited by David Schweizer

dont know were you are but in nottingham try battery city at basford last lot i got 4 x 135 amp liesure and 1 x 110 amp starter £200 no quible garentee for two years any problems take them back and he will replace them

Are these lesure batterys....

Hi Daniel

Not sure who you were asking but the 110a battery I bought was a Traction Battery for starting. For Deep Cycle (leisure) batteries try Mac Batteries at www.mac-batteries.co.uk I got two 6volt 240 amp Extra Deep Cycle batteries from them last year at a cost £170 delivered and they perform really well. The price is quite competitive when compared with similar capacity of 12v batteries from some of the more usual suppliers. They are made in the US and are designed for very deep discharging and rapid charging (Electric Wheelchairs and Golf Karts) The last pair I had in my boat lasted 14 years.

Hi Daniel

- Not sure who you were asking...

I unsure as to what we where talking about. The OP was talking about a bank of 5/6 batterys, presumably for a lesure bank, but then there where several people talking about optianing cheap starter batterys.

Daniel

I unsure as to what we where talking about. The OP was talking about a bank of 5/6 batterys, presumably for a lesure bank, but then there where several people talking about optianing cheap starter batterys.

Daniel

Yes I agree, but many people hold the view that Traction batteries can be used for Cabin services and that buying Deep Cycle Batteries is a waste of money. I am sure he will corrct me if I am wrong but I believe John O has advocated this view in the past. I personally do not know who is correct, but I do know that the last set of 6volt extra deep cycle batteries installed on my boat lasted 14 years and would probably have lasted a couple more years before they would not hold most of their charge. I also know of some people who swear by Traction batteries which seem to last up to five years. So you pays your money and takes your choice, apart from that the space in my battery box is so resricted that it will only take the 6volt 240 amp types so I don't really have any choice.

I think there is a little confusion here, as I understand the situation traction, leisure and deep cycle batteries are one and the same thing being capable of deep discharge and re-charging on a regular basis, the only common exception is the normal automotive battery which is designed for regular very high current outputs for engine starting.

The batteries I have advocated buying from caravan and motor-home dealers are clearly marked 'Leisure batteries'. Though in practise I have found that these are well capable of engine starting.

You need to shop around. I bought a new unbadged 110 amp Starter battery from a tyre Depot in Trowbridge for £41 last year. I could have got an Exide for £45.

Thanks David,

I've ordered four 110ah Exides. Met a lovely bloke who originally offered to lift the batteries to my car and then said he'd deliver them when we move onto the boat in a fortnight. He refused payment until he delivers them. There'll be a few deep breaths and then I'll go for connecting them up.

Jill

I think there is a little confusion here, as I understand the situation traction, leisure and deep cycle batteries are one and the same thing being capable of deep discharge and re-charging on a regular basis, the only common exception is the normal automotive battery which is designed for regular very high current outputs for engine starting.

The batteries I have advocated buying from caravan and motor-home dealers are clearly marked 'Leisure batteries'. Though in practise I have found that these are well capable of engine starting.

I stand corrected. I have just found some technical blurb on batteries, for years I have been operating under the misaprehnsion that Traction Batteries were merely Heavy Duty Starter Batteries, but it turns out that they are not. Traction Batteries are technically the same as Deep Cycle batteries. However Leisure Batteries appear to be a hybrid between the two types and are technically the same as Semi-Traction batteries, which is why they will perform both tasks with reasonable efficiency.

Below is a brief explanation of the three types found in the technical blurb:-

THE STARTER BATTERY:

Because of its design, this battery is suitable only for short-term loads requiring high currents, such as those encountered when starting a car engine. It is not suitable for cyclic applications (i.e. continuous charging/discharging).

THE SEMI TRACTION BATTERY (Leisure Battery) :

This battery is suitable for cyclic applications and can also play a role when starting an engine. As a result of their unique construction (thick plates with special separators), these batteries have a long service life provided they are kept well charged and are not too deeply discharged.

THE TRACTION BATTERY (Deep Cycle Battery) :

In the event of frequent use and deep discharges of the battery, installation of a traction battery should be considered since it has two to three times the service life of the semi-traction battery. It is advised, however, that the charging process is carried out in accordance with the supplier ’s instructions

For what it is worth I have actually got a Heavy Duty Starter Battery for starting my engine, and two Extra Deep Cycle Batteries for Cabin services, so I got that right even if I didn't get the names right.

OK, finally caught up with these guys. They're called Husky Batteries, Stakehill Industrial Estate, Middleton, Manchester. They say they can supply recon 95AH leisure batteries @ £30 each, 12 months back-to-base warranty. Maybe not enough of a price differential to take the risk?

i've been watching this thread with intrest, but disapointed at teh end result,

i'm in the market for batteries to make up around a 500AH bank for my motorhome, had a single elecsol 110AH for 7 years, brilliant it was too, it's still going strong, but it's now used to start the engine rather than power the living items.

but it's too expensive for me to get 4 x elecsols,

i had bought some second hand delphi freedom 115AH batteries for a tenner each, they've lasted 7 months, but are begining to loose capacity due to the high power draw i have (like when using the centeral vacuum system.. that's 160 amps, microwave is 90 amps, washer is only 30 amps as i dont use the heater in it, but it all adds up)

so i've been on the look out for reasonably priced large batteries, something like a couple of 250 AH 12 volters, i'd love to go for 6 volters, but the largest reasonably priced ones seem to be 250 AH, so i'm back to needing 4 of them again, and great expense.

So i was really hoping these re-con batteries would be decently priced and large capacities, i.e. 40 quid for a 250 AH batt or something, or a good price for some 500 AH 2 volt cells or similar.

But 30 quid for a re-con 95 AH is a bit much,

i can buy brand new 3 year gntee'd delphi freedom 115 AH batteries for 30 quid each, so looks like that's what i'll be doing now,

OK, finally caught up with these guys. They're called Husky Batteries, Stakehill Industrial Estate, Middleton, Manchester. They say they can supply recon 95AH leisure batteries @ £30 each, 12 months back-to-base warranty. Maybe not enough of a price differential to take the risk?

Me too I think. Worth investigating though - and they're good for starter batteries @£20 each