Liveaboard near Peterborough

junior_7178

Featured Posts

Hello all.

Im just after a bit of advice realy.I know you get these sort of threads all the time but hopefully someone will help me out.

Im thinking of purchasing a narrowboat and becoming a liveaboard.One of the things i have noticed whilst doing my reasearch is that residential moorings are almost impossible to find and was looking very worrying.

Then it dawned on me.I will only be on the boat at weekends and very occasionaly the odd week at a time,because i live at my place of work during the week.

Does this mean i wouldnt need a residential mooring?

Im new to all this so i dont exacly know about the different type of moorings available and what they are called.

The mooring needs to be around Peterborough as that is where i will be working (travelling by car),and idealy i would like to be by the side of a canal rather than in a marina unless there are other Liveabords there.As im not going to be on bord all the time i would like to have other people around for security when im not there.

Does anyone have any suggestions where i could start looking or who to contact?

One last thing is size of boat.As i want to keep my costs down,will a 45ft "ish" narrowboat suit a single person as a Liveaboard,bearing in mine i'll only be on board a few days a week,or does the size not realy make much different to running costs and i could just start out with a 60ft boat.

Any replies greatfully accepted :wacko:

Then it dawned on me.I will only be on the boat at weekends and very occasionaly the odd week at a time,because i live at my place of work during the week.

Does this mean i wouldnt need a residential mooring?

Correct.

Some marinas place a limit on how many weekends you stay on your boat, some don't - just remember to check.

The mooring needs to be around Peterborough as that is where i will be working (travelling by car),and idealy i would like to be by the side of a canal rather than in a marina unless there are other Liveabords there.As im not going to be on bord all the time i would like to have other people around for security when im not there.

Hi, We live just south of Ely on the river Cam, and we are reasonably familiar with the Peterborough area. How long a drive into Peterborough will you put up with, as there are moorings at a marina at Ramsey 40 foot, which is about 15 minutes from Peterborough. They are in a fairly bleak part of the Fens, but the price is very low compared to other marina moorings. 6 months ago it was £10 per foot per year, which compares with about £25 to £30 per foot for other small marinas in the area. There are also moorings at Fox's Marina at March, which is around 25 minutes drive for you.

Roger & Claire

Edited by Roger Gunkel

Hi, We live just south of Ely on the river Cam, and we are reasonably familiar with the Peterborough area. How long a drive into Peterborough will you put up with, as there are moorings at a marina at Ramsey 40 foot, which is about 15 minutes from Peterborough. They are in a fairly bleak part of the Fens, but the price is very low compared to other marina moorings. 6 months ago it was £10 per foot per year, which compares with about £25 to £30 per foot for other small marinas in the area. There are also moorings at Fox's Marina at March, which is around 25 minutes drive for you.

Roger & Claire

Hi,i'll be near Wittering.To be honest im not exactly sure how far from Peterborough it is.

Does the marina take liveaboards? Its not realy that important as im only planning to stay on the boat at weekends and weeks off,even though it will be my main residence.(i live at work during the week).

Hi,i'll be near Wittering.To be honest im not exactly sure how far from Peterborough it is.

Does the marina take liveaboards? Its not realy that important as im only planning to stay on the boat at weekends and weeks off,even though it will be my main residence.(i live at work during the week).

Wittering is about 15 minutes from the centre of Peterborough to the North. The marinas I mentioned are to the south east. As far as I know they both take live aboards as well.

Roger

Does anyone know what the Liveaboard scene is like in Ely?

I think its fairly close to Peterborough and its a place i hear and see mentioned often in magazines and on the internet.

I think that "Popes Corner" (about 5 miles south of Ely) may cater for residential moorings - not too sure perhaps get in touch with them - http://www.waterscape.com/servicesdirector...s_Corner_Marina

Junior,

please don't take this the wrong way - can I suggest you grab a road atlas and look at the options open to you. Ely is 'close' to Peterborough only if you accept an hours drive!! In terms of roads Cambridge is 'as close' as Ely opening up other options. Ramsey is about 30 mins away from P'borough and there is a Marina just on the north east side of the town. You should also look at St Ives and Earith on the Gt Ouse. Looking west you have Market Harborough and the GUC about 1hr 15 mins away. Of course you have to put the transit times in perspective - if you are obliged to travel during 'rush hour' who knows how much extra time to add. If you plan to 'liveaboard' to save money you may well lose out in travelling fuel bills, and 'auntie Betty' isn't that generous!!

Cheers for the advice.

Havent decided if im going to stay in my barrack accomodation during the week and just go back to the boat at weekends and weeks off,or if im going to give up my barrack room and liveaboard full time,travelling back to the boat every evening.

If i have to commute every day then obviously i dont realy want to be further than about 30mins away which i suppose limits my options.

If im only going back to the boat at weekends etc then i dont mind a bit more of a drive wich opens up Ely,Cambridge etc.

I think when i get a few days off next im going to go up to the area and have a nose around.I'd like to be in a bit of a community with other liveaboards,and idealy by the side of the canal rather than in a marina (preferences not nessesaties).

If i could find out where the liveaboard communities are in the area i'll go up and descretly have a look around and talk to people.

middle of Cambridge, middle of Ely, pretty much dotted all along the Cam between the two. Upware, Waterbeach, etc... and points north towards Downham Market, then the other side of Salter's Lode lock on the Nene towards Peterborough. Just get a map out that shows the bridges and the locks (better still, get the local Nicholson's Guide) and take a drive...