Lancater canal

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, having just completed most of the cheshire ring, [apart from the city bit, prefer countryside],We have now decided to book two weeks on the Lancaster in June,[she wants a rest after the macclesfield and heartbreak locks on T&M][although I did most of them lol].Has anyone been on Lancaster recently and have any tips about good hostelries and timings, although I presume we could meander up and down from preston to tewitfield twice in that time.

Cheers Timx

Hi, having just completed most of the cheshire ring, [apart from the city bit, prefer countryside],We have now decided to book two weeks on the Lancaster in June,[she wants a rest after the macclesfield and heartbreak locks on T&M][although I did most of them lol].Has anyone been on Lancaster recently and have any tips about good hostelries and timings, although I presume we could meander up and down from preston to tewitfield twice in that time.

Cheers Timx

try canalplan.org.uk

Hi Tim

We've just returned from the Lancaster after spending nine months on it. I can't really help you with timings because with so much time to explore it we pottered around. With no locks (apart from on the Glasson Branch) the timings are pretty easy to work out, but bear in mind that the canal is very shallow, in places we could barely go over tickover without creating a breaking wash! Make sure you've got gangplanks handy as well, even in designated mooring areas with rings we found ourselves a couple of feet away from the bank sometimes!

When the exit the Link you can turn right towards Preston. There's a nice mooring at Cadley with a picnic area, within walking distance of the City centre. There's only room there for two boats though. From there you can wind at the boatyard just before the end of the navigation at Preston.

There's a nice pub called the Hand and Dagger at bridge 26 (quiz night on Wednesday).

In Bilsborrow Owd Nell's Canalside Tavern in Guy's Thatched Hamlet is worth a visit - the food is really good.

Garstang is a pretty little market town well worth a stroll round. I can't remember which days the street market is held, but if you Google it you can find out.

If you go down the Glasson Branch, the Dalton Arms does good food and is very dog friendly.

If you like quiet, offside moorings there's one just past the official moorings in Galgate, next to the football pitch.

Lancaster itself is great - we did all the tourist things including the castle and maritime museum. Mooring there can be a bit of a mare though - bear in mind there are moorings in the basins to your left as well as on the towpath on your right. The Water Witch is a good pub, but there are loads of others to choose from.

We loved Hest Bank. From the moorings you can walk down to the beach, on the edge of Morcambe Bay. There's a nice little dog friendly cafe there. We did the guided Morcambe Bay Sands walk from the cafe, there's a notice in the window to tell you the dates.

Carnforth is very handy because the moorings are opposite a Tesco and next to a good pub, the Canal Turn. The station is famous because it was used in Brief Encounter and they've recently renovated the old station clock.

Just before you get to Tewitfield there's the Capernwray Arm where you can moor in the woods if you fancy a secluded mooring for the night. Tewitfield itself is very shallow and right next to the M6 so we didn't linger there for long.

I'm sure there's other places of interest, but these are the ones that have stuck in my mind. Enjoy it, it's a fantastic canal!

Thats great thank you, I will make a note of all of that, the tesco bit is handy as well, thanks, I wont mention the Dalton arms bit though as she will take it the wrong way...

Also I note the lower water level, I experienced that on the Macclesfield last week, untidy mooring needed in the rural areas, particularly if a female tries to get off, but quite funny, why are girls not good at jumping ,is it the same premise as throwing a ball.Seemed to be miles away from the bank and one tight turn and your in the silt. If you spent that amount of time on the Lancaster must be good, and I thought two weeks was too long lol, thanks for the reassurance, think im still at the need to go somewhere all the time phase,lol. cheers again.

I'll go along with all the positive stuff about the Lancaster. I loved it.

I've been trying to get back there from Yorks for the last year or so. Didn't make it last year through stoppages and lack of water. Now it still looks dodgy as the Pennine crossings could soon get low again.

But, the views over Morecambe Bay and the beauty of the canal in the north make a visit very worthwhile. It's worth putting up with the M6 traffic noise at Tewitfield just to explore the derelict lock flight, and if you do have wheels it is worth tracing the route all the way into Kendal. Parts of the Upper Lancaster are still navigable (with trip boat) and some of the aqueduct bridges are stunning.

HPIM3949.JPG

And if you do get into Kendal, you can still trace the canal:

HPIM3959.JPG

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter