Back over the Ribble Link - weather forecast

Ange

Featured Posts

Did you drown?

Richard

:unsure: well not a drop of rain, I didn't fall in and the boat didn't sink

Glad you had a good sail its been nice all day but about 4pm started to cloud up near Ribble a a slight shower might get some thunder later.

Where's the pictures?

It clouded over at Tarleton and started raining at about 6pm. Pics coming shortly :)

Welcome back Ange :)

Thank you :) Much as we've enjoyed the Lanky it's lovely to open up the waterways map and have loads of choices of where to go next

Off to sort out photos now

Blimey - it takes a while when you're dangling from a dongle! Here's some pics:-

The first boat in the convoy of six reverses into the top of the staircase locks

img_5488.jpg

Inside the lock, from the front deck

img_5490.jpg

Savick Brook with our trusty crew - Dave steering, Charlie (forum member Choogh) nearest on the gunnels with his son Gary behind him

img_5493.jpg

We started as number 5 of 6 in the convoy. The boats moored up three abreast on the floating pontoon just before the sea lock for nearly an hour, and with us in the front on the outside we suddenly became the lead boat!

Leaving Savick Brook to join the River Ribble - it was actually quite scary watching the fast flowing river and knowing we were about to join it and turn against the flow

img_5500.jpg

This photo, taken from the front of the boat, shows Savick Brook on our right shortly after we'd turned out - we'd been pushed towards Preston during the turn

img_5503.jpg

While Dave was very cautious in waiting until he was sure he was in the channel until he turned, the boat behind us cut the corner completely and was beside us for quite a while, apparently trying to race for the lead. He didn't reckon on us having a 3.3l 55hp engine!

img_5505.jpg

The River Ribble, which just got wider and wider

img_5507.jpg

Dave & Charlie and the 5 boats behind us

img_5511.jpg

The Asland lamp - since our crossing in July they've replaced it with a new one which doesn't bear the name - I had a bit of a panic because I was sure it wasn't the right one, that's why this is the closest photo I've got of it!

img_5521.jpg

A proper lumpy water boat (the Black Swan) leaving Tarleton lock as we arrived

img_5529.jpg

When we arrived we realised that Iona was the lead boat on the first Ribble crossing of 2011

-

Well done, the Ribble is quite a challenge when you have to fight it both ways. If you get chance when he gets back, have a good look at Black Swan, its a real character boat ! It has a mooring near the sea lock.

cheers, David

-

Nice pics.

I don't think you could have been pushing the tide, as according to the tide tables, the tide was ebbing from Preston at 0930 until nearly lunchtime ?? I thought you said you were making the crossing in the morning ?

Judging by your photos of the entrance into the Douglas, it looks like the tide was quite high.

What time were the photos taken ?

Edited by NB Willawaw

-

Well done, the Ribble is quite a challenge when you have to fight it both ways. If you get chance when he gets back, have a good look at Black Swan, its a real character boat ! It has a mooring near the sea lock.

cheers, David

-

I had a good look at her when we made the crossing over last year and agree with you, the owner looked a bit of a character as well.

Nice pics.

I don't think you could have been pushing the tide, as according to the tide tables, the tide was ebbing from Preston at 0930 until nearly lunchtime ?? I thought you said you were making the crossing in the morning ?

Judging by your photos of the entrance into the Douglas, it looks like the tide was quite high.

What time were the photos taken ?

We left the link basin on the Lanky at 10.15 am ish, arrived at the pontoon upstream of the Rotating sea lock on the Savick Brook soon after 12.30 am and were held there until the sea lock opened at about 1.20. We entered the Ribble at 1.26 and photo five shows how far back the flow pushed us. We entered the Douglas at 2.30 ish and arrived at Tarleton lock at 3.05. High tide was at 2.09 according to BW.

Oh okay - it was an afternoon crossing.

High tide was 1510 BST (1410 GMT) at Preston, so you would have been pushing the last two hours of the flood tide, going into Tarleton more or less at high water, which is what the photos show. There will be a slight difference in tide times between Preston and Tarleton.

We left the link basin on the Lanky at 10.15 am ish, arrived at the pontoon upstream of the Rotating sea lock on the Savick Brook soon after 12.30 am and were held there until the sea lock opened at about 1.20. We entered the Ribble at 1.26 and photo five shows how far back the flow pushed us. We entered the Douglas at 2.30 ish and arrived at Tarleton lock at 3.05. High tide was at 2.09 according to BW.

Edited by NB Willawaw