Bilge and drain channel questions!

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

After a long, condensation abundant winter, we have decided to look under the floor boards, only to find a large puddle of water that has accumulated at the back of the cabin underneath the kitchen, hence not getting to the bilge.

On closer inspection, and plenty of rust scraping, we discovered that the drain channel has holes all the way down except for where the cabin ends, where it appears there were never any put there - not just clogged with rust. The bilge channels in the stern all have holes.

Should there be holes there? If so can we drill some? I might be missing something, but I thought that any water from the whole boat should lead to the bilge, not just accumulate in the cabin.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Everyone,

After a long, condensation abundant winter, we have decided to look under the floor boards, only to find a large puddle of water that has accumulated at the back of the cabin underneath the kitchen, hence not getting to the bilge.

On closer inspection, and plenty of rust scraping, we discovered that the drain channel has holes all the way down except for where the cabin ends, where it appears there were never any put there - not just clogged with rust. The bilge channels in the stern all have holes.

Should there be holes there? If so can we drill some? I might be missing something, but I thought that any water from the whole boat should lead to the bilge, not just accumulate in the cabin.

Thanks for any help!

Your engine bilge should normally be kept separate from your cabin bilge. Do not drill holes to connect them if that is what you are asking.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any help!

No, there shouldn't be holes, and you shouldn't drill any.

That's exactly what I'm asking, thanks!

P.s. sorry if this was in wrong forum!

On our boat under the step there is circular hole cut in the floor where any water that gets into the cabin bilge can be removed. In theory such water should flow to the rear,

However the ability of the water to get to that point very much depends on if your hull design and comstruction allows for it and if the builder has not but something in the way either.

Folk often resign themselves to having to cut holes in cupboards/lockers to remove water. Done correctly and keeping the cut out it can be fine. Our hole has been cut with tapered edges so the 'plug' simply drops into place.

Edited by MJG

No the cabin should be separate from the stern bilge and on many boats it is also separate from the stem (although some have a tube fitted through to dump stem water into the stern bilge!

In theory you should not get any water in the cabin, but you can if there is a leak or there is an area where the foam or insulation is not good enough and condensation can form. I found on ours that the gunnels were not insulated and it was amazing how much water it generated.

One solution is to provide a small hatch in the rear (kitchen area) into whihc you can drop a bilge pump for those occasions when it is needed. I fitted one of those screw in access panels for the purpose, but since sorting the gunnels out, I have only had to use it when there has been a burst!

Just taken about 6 gallons from under our floor. Traced to water pump body leaking. Lucky we had a spare pump. A couple of disposable nappies under the floor should take care of the rest of the water as it slowly makes its way down.

Regards

Pete