Overkill alternator

Featured Posts

We have just e-bay'ed an alternator originally taken from an Arun class lifeboat. I didn't mention it on here because never in my wildest dreams did I imagine any of us would have the spare power to drive it. Now it's sold and going to Daventry apparently to be fitted to a "riverboat". This is a 24V unit with a 300A output! Some riverboat.

We have just e-bay'ed an alternator originally taken from an Arun class lifeboat. I didn't mention it on here because never in my wildest dreams did I imagine any of us would have the spare power to drive it. Now it's sold and going to Daventry apparently to be fitted to a "riverboat". This is a 24V unit with a 300A output! Some riverboat.

A guy my dad is doing some work for at the moment has a very large 24V alternator fitted to his boat but he drives it from a small secondary beta engine, he can electrically vary the load the alternator puts on the engine so the revs build up before he puts full load on the alternator.

He is at Crick near Daventry so maybe its catching. :(

As ive mentioned before, there was a guy at tarleton that had fitted an old stationary engine to his widebeam, compleate with its huge 3-phase alternator, and a little belt take-off to power the prop...!

I think that was about 5KVA!!

Daniel