South kyme Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

This first report is brought to you by a very blearly eyed fairy, but I'm sure further reports will expand on the festivities.

For it's first time as a 'festival' the weekend turned out to be a HUGE success!!! :clapping::clapping:

A guestimate put the footfall at around 3000, that's 6X the village population, and there were over 20 narrowboats lining the banks of the village.

There was a full pub on Friday evening for the pub quiz, lots of beverages were consumed, and a certain fairy ended up wearing most of hers! :blush: (good job I know the supplier of my event t-shirt as the red wine has rather stained ;) )

Saturday started well with the table top sale, followed by the duck race which was interesting with the strong winds, then back to the pub in the evening for the curry night and band.

Sunday was the main event with the medieval re-enactments, fire eating, giant horses, lots of food, the ale was flowing well, again, but was definately needed after battling with marquees trying to fly!!! There was a constant queue for the Tower viewing, but not one complaint was heard, only smiling faces were seen, so all's well there.

Yesterday morning saw an end to our weekend with a banter in the pub, attendees were myself and Smudge, Allan and Debbie and Bazza. Then a very breezy return to Chapel Hill. :cheers:

As I was running around like the proverbial all weekend I didn't get chance for pics, but Allan did so he's given them to me to upload to flickr, I will add the link as soon as they've loaded.

SK pics

edited to add pics link

Edited by Purple Fairie

It was an absolutely brilliant weekend. The residents of South Kyme made us feel so very welcome, and the evenings in the pub were amazing.

As well as the items that Sam has mentioned, I feel the Boaters Service in the church on Sunday morning desevres a mention. It's the first time I've ever known a congregation give thanks "For the canals and their social history; For the narrow boats, and locks, and winding points,and tunnels; For Francis Egerton and James Brindley; For those who restore canals and for Inland Waterways, and the Slea Navigation Trust". It was brilliant.

Now we're at Chapel Hill preparing for our assault on the WND's at the weekend.

Helped a friend take his narrowboat up our local waterway, the Kyme Eau/Sleaford Navigation yesterday.

002-8.jpg

The last mile of the eight navigable miles is quite badly silted and progress was slow. About a boat length short of the winding hole we ground to a halt and no amount of pushing and shoving was going to get us through. Ended up pumping out the ballast tanks, giving us an inch or two less draught, enabling us to float free. With the prospect of having to reverse 6 miles we decided to take a run at it and ploughed our way through the mud bar.

Following the event at Kyme last weekend, perhaps a dozen boats had been up to Cobblers Lock to wind and I'd heard some of those had struggled somewhat, and that, having heard the rumours, others had chickened out and been towed out backwards. However, 'Ding' has a draught near to three feet and I'm pleased to report we it up and back in the day from Dogdyke.

There's talk of digging a winding hole in South Kyme. Should this happen I fear that nobody will bother with the last few miles and further silting will occur to the point that it becomes impassable. Use it or loose it I say....

• 3 weeks later...