South kyme Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

I have fond memories of South Kyme having been there by hire boat from Selby back in the 90s. The villagers gave the impression that they didn't see many boats and brought their children out to see us. The pub was pretty good too. Only down side was having to reverse back a couple of miles as the water level was too high to allow us to go on to wind.

We have this week off and have no particular plans as yet other than heading up the Trent for a few days.

Now that we have the dinghy we may have to attend this festival. We could leave NC moored up at the entrance to the navigation (she is a little bit too deep drafted to risk taking her all the way) and dinghy the rest of the way to the South Kyme. :cheers:

We have this week off and have no particular plans as yet other than heading up the Trent for a few days.

Now that we have the dinghy we may have to attend this festival. We could leave NC moored up at the entrance to the navigation (she is a little bit too deep drafted to risk taking her all the way) and dinghy the rest of the way to the South Kyme. :cheers:

Thats not a bad idea Phylis

though I'm not going to race you with my puny 4hp

If I can get it going!

• 4 weeks later...

*bump*

We made our way up to South Kyme on Monday with Paddy and Ruth and Allan and Debbie (Keeping Up) so we're all ready for the festivities :cheers:

A few more have arrived throughout the week and I'm quite nervous/excited to see how many more there will be when I return this afternoon.

There has been a lot of prep gone into this this year as the (newly appointed) festival committee of the village council have decided to make it more of an 'event' than previous 'boat gatherings'.

On Saturday we have the usual village Scarecrow competition and table top sale, followed by the duck race.

But on Sunday is the all new Medieval Festival! Kyme Tower will be open to the public for the first time in a long time with a display of the history of the tower, we have medieval re-enactments, jousting demonstrations, authentic medieval music, archery and medieval style games.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will also be doing a flypast on both days.

Can't wait!!!! :clapping::clapping:

*bump*

We made our way up to South Kyme on Monday with Paddy and Ruth and Allan and Debbie (Keeping Up) so we're all ready for the festivities :cheers:

A few more have arrived throughout the week and I'm quite nervous/excited to see how many more there will be when I return this afternoon.

There has been a lot of prep gone into this this year as the (newly appointed) festival committee of the village council have decided to make it more of an 'event' than previous 'boat gatherings'.

On Saturday we have the usual village Scarecrow competition and table top sale, followed by the duck race.

But on Sunday is the all new Medieval Festival! Kyme Tower will be open to the public for the first time in a long time with a display of the history of the tower, we have medieval re-enactments, jousting demonstrations, authentic medieval music, archery and medieval style games.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will also be doing a flypast on both days.

Can't wait!!!! :clapping::clapping:

Sounds like a its going to be a brilliant weekend - hope you get plenty of boats and the weather is good.

Jo.

My plans have changed - I'm no longer going by boat because I have a brother calling in to see me this weekend on his way somewhere else, bringing with him something precious - old family photographs that I have not seen since my childhood.

I shall go by car instead since I only live 10 miles away from Kyme and it sounds like its going to be a lot of fun

I'm wondering if anyone has 6 ft of floor space to spare :)

My plans have changed - I'm no longer going by boat because I have a brother calling in to see me this weekend on his way somewhere else, bringing with him something precious - old family photographs that I have not seen since my childhood.

I shall go by car instead since I only live 10 miles away from Kyme and it sounds like its going to be a lot of fun

We have floor space available on Keeping Up - or even a spare double bed if you'd prefer it.

you could have used our boatman's but there's a smelly student in there for a few week's :sick:

Can I book the floor..... :unsure:

I'm afraid that the floor space rather disappears when the bed is created in the lounge - maybe you could come to an arrangement with Bazza about sharing the bed?

Edited to add - on second thoughts I've just realised our back cabin has 2 spare beds, probably only one of which will be occupied by a dog, so you are welcome to use that if you like (you'd need to bring a sleeping bag though)

Edited by Keeping Up

In case anyone is in doubt, I can confirm that Neil and Bazza are sharing the bed this weekend - but fortunately it's a time-share (Neil was last night, Bazza will be tonight).

The festival is shaping up well. The pub was packed for last night's quiz, which was great fun, and we are expecting to become an integral part of the duck race this afternoon as we are moored underneath the footbridge that they are to be launched from.

In case anyone is in doubt, I can confirm that Neil and Bazza are sharing the bed this weekend - but fortunately it's a time-share (Neil was last night, Bazza will be tonight).

I wish you'd stop doing that Alan - I nearly spat my coffee out in fright then

Edited by Bazza2