Plastic Covered Button

Featured Posts

On top of the valve used to select which gas bottle you use there is a little clear plastic cap with a button or even small plunger underneath. On returning to the boat after a few days (with the gas turned off at the bottle) there was no gas and the little plunger was down.

Have turned the gas off at the bottle again so I'm sure I'm safe at the mo but was hoping someone could tell me what it is and is it serious?

Cheers

Peter

On top of the valve used to select which gas bottle you use there is a little clear plastic cap with a button or even small plunger underneath. On returning to the boat after a few days (with the gas turned off at the bottle) there was no gas and the little plunger was down.

Have turned the gas off at the bottle again so I'm sure I'm safe at the mo but was hoping someone could tell me what it is and is it serious?

These are usually fitted on changeover valves to indicate that the gas has run out and possibly stop gas escaping when changing a bottle.

It is likely to drop if you switch the gas off at the bottle and leave something on?

I've done it!

Many change-over valves which are often also regulators, incorporate an Over-Pressure Shut-Off (OPSO) which usually looks like a small plunger under a clear plastic cap. It is designed to operate and shut off the supply if the pressure on the regulated side gets to be too high, for example if the regulator sticks open. However they can sometimes trigger spuriously, particularly when you switch on the gas suddenly.

I would try resetting it and see what happens. If it doesn't trigger again - no more problem. If it does trigger again, you probably need a new regulator.

To reset it, you simply switch off the gas and ensure there is no excess pressure in the pipes by for example running a burner (lit of course) until it goes out - then of course turn it off. You then remove the plastic cap (which should be sealed with a lead seal or wire) and pull the plunger out. Now slowly turn on the gas and see what happens. If all seems OK, replace the cap and if you are feeling conscientious replace the lead seal or wire.

I would add that I have no gas qualifications whatsoever, I'm just going by what it says in the instruction leaflet for mine.