Alternator issue

Ynot

Featured Posts

Well lets look what an experienced technican should do when faces with the flickering ~WL

Check for Loose connections ....non found...system has been working for months with no problem.

Check for the most likley cause ...remove fan belt ..put 5w bulb from WL terminal to battery + and turn alternator by hand ... if bulb flickers brush /slip ring problem.

If bulb does not flicker remove lamp ,turn on ignition and check dash WL . Bulb now flickers problem with bulb/holder/ign Sw....

Now go on wind your springs up on that one ....

I fit in with the electrical Clique

Sorry, you can't fit in with the clique as you don't have the IQ which just leaves "Clue" and since you don't have one of those either your application must be declined. The name change is most flattering and I would reciprocate but I don't want to go around calling myself "clueless [removed]" just to homage you.

Tick tick tick goes the clockwork and when it runs down your brain (two transistors and a flywheel driven by a retarded mollusc)will stop too, the rest of us can then just tock amoungst ourselves.

Edited by Liam
Offensive word removed

Sorry, you can't fit in with the clique as you don't have the IQ which just leaves "Clue" and since you don't have one of those either...

That's really clever :)

I suppose someone will tell me now that it's really old with "Haven't you heard that before?"

Even if it is old, this has to be the most perfect usage ;)

Tony

Hi YNOT,

Your post had a fimilar ring to it.Ref your post no 42.

I have a new Numax 30amp charger, which seems to keep the domestic bateries "to topped up"

When they have been on charge for a few weeks my low volt light and buzzer come on constantly at low revs and flicker and chirp at higher revs. All i have to do is to put some 12v services for a while and all goes back to normal. I have had this three times. Last w/e I had left the charger off and no problems.

See my post Equipment:- is my alternator/controller failing

What charger do you have?

Hi YNOT,

Your post had a fimilar ring to it.Ref your post no 42.

I have a new Numax 30amp charger, which seems to keep the domestic bateries "to topped up"

When they have been on charge for a few weeks my low volt light and buzzer come on constantly at low revs and flicker and chirp at higher revs. All i have to do is to put some 12v services for a while and all goes back to normal. I have had this three times. Last w/e I had left the charger off and no problems.

See my post Equipment:- is my alternator/controller failing

What charger do you have?

Hello Bridge100,

I have a multistage 16amp Ring charger. I'm not sure it makes any difference what brand of charger is used, providing it is multi stage, but the evidence now seems pretty convincing that a bank of fully fully charged batteries may give this misleading visual alarm, simply because of the method the unit uses to determine that it is charging efficiently from the alternator. Once some of the power from the batteries has been discharged, the warning light is no longer illuminated.

There is I have noticed a little hysteresis when using some switch mode/multi-stage chargers or alternators in that when they drop from absorb charge mode (usually a timed sequence) of say constant 14.5 volts to float mode of say 13.5 volts, actual discharge from sundry load can be seen on the battery monitor until the batteries reach the lower voltage, even though the charger is still on. In fact the battery volts can sometimes drop below 13 volts before I see a positive charge showing in float mode.

I wonder if this hysteresis is deliberately built in to give batteries time to cool down or settle after a hefty charge. It could well explain the triggering of oversensitive engine alarms. Close & continuous monitoring of battery volts with a good multimeter at the batteries themselves would reveal a lot I believe.

Edited by richardhula