Edinburgh/Galsgow trip from Falkirk

Darren72

Featured Posts

We are thinking about going from Falkirk wheel to Edinburgh then west to Glasgow and back to Falkirk. What and when notifications do we need to give to BW regarding the wheel and the lifting of Bonnybridge. How much notic will they need at both locations??

Can anyone tell me if they have done this trip and what experiences they have off it?

Thanks folks

From Falkirk to Glasgow, BW operate the locks. Not sure how much notice they require: when we've done it, we've usually let them know the day before. However, I'm sure they're geared up to cope with the hire boats on Saturdays :rolleyes: .

For Union Canal Locks and the wheel, we usually phone on approach, i.e. after Falkirk tunnel if on Union, or near the swing bridge if going west on the Forth & Clyde. (If we're going east on the Forth & Clyde, BW know where we are anyway)

If you're going into Edinburgh, the other "reporting point" is usually Harrison Park, giving about 15 minutes notice for lifting Leamington Lift Bridge. The timing going into Edinburgh can be a bit tricky, especially in winter, as there is no passage between Slateford and Harrison Park between 3.15p.m. and 5.15p.m. on weekdays, as that stretch is used by rowers, many of whom are schoolchildren. If Leamington Bridge is on winter hours, this means that you have to get through before this.

Iain

We are thinking about going from Falkirk wheel to Edinburgh then west to Glasgow and back to Falkirk. What and when notifications do we need to give to BW regarding the wheel and the lifting of Bonnybridge. How much notic will they need at both locations??

Can anyone tell me if they have done this trip and what experiences they have off it?

Thanks folks

Hi Darren

We had a holiday hire from Falkirk to Edinburgh last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. You haven't mentioned how long your break is - we only had a week and were advised that if we wanted a relaxing holiday it would be best to choose either Edinburgh or Glasgow rather than try to do both.

We were a bit spoilt with bookings - the hire company booked us onto the Wheel on day one and we followed Iain S and Haggis on Gamebird into Edinburgh itself so didn't have to worry about booking the lift bridge :)

It surprised me how quiet the Union Canal was compared to the main network - we had days of travelling with only passing one or two boats. The scenery is lovely and Edinburgh was a treat to visit (we arrived at the tail end of the Edinburgh Festival). We also enjoyed Linlithgow, a very pretty town with an interesting little canal museum.

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning a trip in July this year - any comments about good/bad places to moor? (especially in Glasgow & Edinburgh)

Good places to moor - Linlithgow, Bells Mill Wharf in Winchburgh (vested interest here as our canal society has a hut there and we keep the area inviting for boats to moor up for a while. picnic bench, garden etc) Ratho, Harrison Park or Edinburgh Quay. However, if you like "wild" moorings, there is a lovely spot just before the A801 bridge where you have a good view over the Firth of Forth and the road and rail bridges. Another favourite of ours is in the transhipment basin near the Avon aqueduct on the short pontoon or the longer wobbly ones. There is also a good wild mooring at the Almond aqueduct between Broxburn and ratho. I wouldn't recommend mooring overnight at Port Buchan in Broxburn. It looks inviting but I think it is a gathering spot for youths in the evening. Wester Hailes is also not a recommended overnight spot.

These are all on the Union canal.

On the Forth and Clyde canal to Glasgow, moorings at lock 16 in Falkirk, Auchenstarry, Kirkintilloch, the Stables are all good (lock 16 can be a wee bit noisy with traffic). In Glasgow, best to go down the Glasgow branch and moor at the BW office or through the lift bridge in Speirs Wharf. The BW guys will do all locks and bridges for you and they will give you good advice about where to moor - and not to moor!

haggis