Consumer Unit Orientation

Biggles

Featured Posts

Is there any reason a consumer unit can't be orientated vertical instead of the normal horizontal.

The space it needs to go in won't permit it to go horizontal. I could use 2 x smaller ones but think that would be a bit messy.

Other suggestions welcome.

Biggles

Is there any reason a consumer unit can't be orientated vertical instead of the normal horizontal.

The space it needs to go in won't permit it to go horizontal. I could use 2 x smaller ones but think that would be a bit messy.

Other suggestions welcome.

Biggles

Possible :unsure: useful info here...

http://www.diy-forum.net/consumer-unit-mounting-t7834.html

Can't think of a technical reason, other than the silly floppy cover might flop!

There isn't a specific boat unit, though I daresay a chandlery would try to sell you a "marine" one at a suitable fee!

The small consumer units designed for garages, sheds etc. are generally the ones people use. It really depends how complicated your boat wiring is going to be.

Its gonna be very basic simple wiring. In terms of 240v there will be one run donw each side with 3 sockets in. Then an inverter / landline inlet to supply it.

Oh, and a 240 run to the battery charger from landline inlet.

Is there a specific standard they have to meet, eg EN..... or CE .... or anything?

I'd recommend you have the battery charger fed from the consumer unit, so it is protected to the same level as everything else.

Yes this does present the risk that you could attempt to charge the batteries using the inverter, but you're not that daft, are you? :)

You can either put in a manual switch to choose between the shoreline and the inverter, or use a mains relay. There used to be some good wiring diagrams for this on Gibbo's Smartgauge website.

Don't forget a galvanic isolator!

If you get stuck I might still have the plan I used on my boat somewhere.

I'd recommend you have the battery charger fed from the consumer unit, so it is protected to the same level as everything else.

Yes this does present the risk that you could attempt to charge the batteries using the inverter, but you're not that daft, are you? :)

You can either put in a manual switch to choose between the shoreline and the inverter, or use a mains relay. There used to be some good wiring diagrams for this on Gibbo's Smartgauge website.

Don't forget a galvanic isolator!

If you get stuck I might still have the plan I used on my boat somewhere.

Great thanks

The ones Ive seen tend to be 2 gang witha 16a and a 6a breaker.

I reckon that should be fine (I think)?????

Great thanks

The ones Ive seen tend to be 2 gang witha 16a and a 6a breaker.

I reckon that should be fine (I think)?????

Also (but hopefully I am preaching to the converted!!) don't forget to provide a proper earth connection for your 240v system to the hull.

Again all info and diagrams are on Gibbo's Smartgauge site

Richard