Leigh branch

gaggle

Featured Posts

On waterscape written list for leigh branch it says restriction 1st oct until feb 11th "marina construction" and nothing about a stoppage that is shown when the map of regions stoppages is brought up , the map shows a stoppage 12th feb to 14 march outside the new marina.

Anyone know for sure what is going on , will the branch be closed to navagation 12 feb to march 4.

Hi

This is what is shown under stoppages, I have spoken to BW and they are hopefull it woudl be completed on time, we hope to get through late on the 4th, they suggested I ring that week for an update, but if anybody now's anymore i would also be grateful

12 Feb 2011 - 04 Mar 2011

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Stoppage is required for the removal of temporary works and completion of the marina connection.

(Enquiries: 07801033190)

Nigel

This stoppage has now been put on the list proper but it was not there this morning , i dont think i got any alert sent out regarding this stoppage which if right is a joke.

edit to add

i cant find an alert for this stoppage in my mail box , anyone got any idea when bw decided to put the stoppage in place , supposed to be going to manchester and lymm starting monday and had no idea any stoppage was planned.

Edited by gaggle

This stoppage has now been put on the list proper but it was not there this morning , i dont think i got any alert sent out regarding this stoppage which if right is a joke.

edit to add

i cant find an alert for this stoppage in my mail box , anyone got any idea when bw decided to put the stoppage in place , supposed to be going to manchester and lymm starting monday and had no idea any stoppage was planned.

Hi

Not sure what list you have been looking at, it has been on the stoppage list since Sept/Oct, we decided back then to move our boat south whne our current mooring expired and we noticed then that this stoppage was going to be an issue.

I agree that I too have not had an alert, but maybe they do not do this for planned stoppages?

Nigel

Hi

Not sure what list you have been looking at, it has been on the stoppage list since Sept/Oct, we decided back then to move our boat south whne our current mooring expired and we noticed then that this stoppage was going to be an issue.

I agree that I too have not had an alert, but maybe they do not do this for planned stoppages?

Nigel

It showed up on this -http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/Map_B.pdf

but not on this http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages/results?waterways%5B%5D=43&search_data_by%5B%5D=all&start_day=12&start_month=2&start_year=2011&end_period=all&end_day=12&end_month=3&end_year=2011&subtn=+Find+Stoppages+

The second link showed 11 notices at first and then it went to 15 , maybe i never set dates correct , never seen the end date for search.

On waterscape written list for leigh branch it says restriction 1st oct until feb 11th "marina construction" and nothing about a stoppage that is shown when the map of regions stoppages is brought up , the map shows a stoppage 12th feb to 14 march outside the new marina.

Anyone know for sure what is going on , will the branch be closed to navagation 12 feb to march 4.

I had a look at the new marina a couple of weeks ago. Bickershaw Marina is next to Plank Lane lift bridge (behind the bridgekeepers contol box).

When I was there heavy duty piling had been placed in the canal about 1/4 way out from the wash wall meaning that there was no obstuction to passing boats.

Works were under way concreting the walls inside the marina. I suggest set off and get an update when you pass Wigan BW office.

Steve

Out of interest, where is it de-watered from in each direction?

The photograph is taken from the bridge, looking East towards Leigh.

On the other side of the bridge (West) only a few yards away is the plastic sheeting used to stop the water.

Thanks. I hadn't enlarged the photo and didn't see the dam in that direction.

It's changed a bit since I last got water on the right there. There was a big house with stacks of scrap Citroen Xantias in the yard just to the left. So is that the marina entrance in the middle distance on the left?

Edited by journeyperson

Thanks. I hadn't enlarged the photo and didn't see the dam in that direction.

It's changed a bit since I last got water on the right there. There was a big house with stacks of scrap Citroen Xantias in the yard just to the left. So is that the marina entrance in the middle distance on the left?

Yes, that's the new entrance.

The marina is situated exactly where the scrap Citroens used to be. The big building (it was a pub) has been demolished.

The marina will be home to some 40 or so boats but BW do not envisage it being in use for at least another two years

The notice board on site reads

"Works will start in October 2010 and be complete by March 2011. The construction has been planned to ensure minimum disruption to the canal users and canal will remain open as much as possible"

I don't understand why the canal has to be dewatered when heavy duty piling is protecting the marina. Am I missing something? I cannot remember canals being shut for other new marinas.

Steve

The notice board on site reads

"Works will start in October 2010 and be complete by March 2011. The construction has been planned to ensure minimum disruption to the canal users and canal will remain open as much as possible"

I don't understand why the canal has to be dewatered when heavy duty piling is protecting the marina. Am I missing something? I cannot remember canals being shut for other new marinas.

Steve

Hi

Just spoken to Carl at BWB and he is happy that the stoppage will end on schedule next week, so we can now firm up on our plans to move from Wheelton down to Brinklow.

If anybody is about early next Friday the 4th and wants to lend a hand down through Wigan, the kettle will be on

Nigel

Edited by Jayseaess

Hi

Just spoken to Carl at BWB and he is happy that the stoppage will end on schedule next week, so we can now firm up on our plans to move from Wheelton down to Brinklow.

If anybody is about early next Friday the 4th and wants to lend a hand down through Wigan, the kettle will be on

Nigel

[/quote

As we could not go to manchester on the leigh branch and we had a newcomer to boating on board we decided to show him the wigan flight and how to operate locks , when he was almost to the top we told him it was usual for all newcomers to run to the top of the big hill on the left, he would not run up that day but on the way down two days later the kid took off like a gazelle up the hill and back down again , he has not stopped telling his mates since , LAD I HAVE DONE THE WIGAN FLIGHT ,UP AND DOWN.

The gates on the lock are a lot easier to open and shut this year the crew said but still two or three gates needed at least two putting full effort into moving them.

Fuel at white bear marina 84 p litre and 78 p litre at what i think is l&l cruisers or boat engineers last thursday.

Marina now almost ready for filling, all work appears to be on schedule. Photos taken today (01/03/2011)

photos

Interesting photos, thanks. All the private/independent canal marinas I can think of have narrow entrances, just wide enough for the boats that can use the particular waterway and I imagine they are like that so they can be closed off quickly in the event of a breach. But this marina and the ones on the Bridgewater are wide open and couldn't be closed. Is there a reason for the different approach?