Where are we?

Allie

Featured Posts

Crikey Allie - this is getting a bit more difficult. No locks, tunnels, basins - just a bend, a 14ft wide aqueduct a lane and some trees......

....That must be the Leeds and Liverpool Canal then, at some very obscure bend at Adlington near Chorley. The boat in the top right is called "Me and Er" and the date was 1-July-2003.

Well Ok I made some of that up but prove me wrong :rolleyes:

Mike

aqueduct over what appears to be a "used-to-be" railway line? - presumably a footpath now?

No, I don't know where it is.

immediately I saw this image I thought it must be the Sow aqueduct. But then realised another thing - despite the simlarity there's no railway to the south, as well as the aqueduct being broad. Its gotta be on a northern waterway somewhere as our dear old grand union doesnt have a location like this.

Err.... excuse me if I am being particularly dim tonight - after not knowing about "Pressie" yesterday...

but I did think I had already located the aqueduct about 8 posts back.:rolleyes:

Incase there is any doubt, the bit I made up was the boat name and time - and the bit which is not made up is the location: Leeds and Liverpool Canal - at Adlington near Chorley, Lancs! As far as I know the aqueduct doesnt have a name, but it is between bridges 67 and 68.

Do feel free to keep guessing though :P

Mike

At last.... I recognise one, after extensive zooming up and down the canal network via the Google satellite to find a mystery tunnel and then a mystery aqueduct, in the wee small hours of the morning I remember spotting this one !

It is at Newbury on the K&A.

At last.... I recognise one, after extensive zooming up and down the canal network via the Google satellite to find a mystery tunnel and then a mystery aqueduct, in the wee small hours of the morning I remember spotting this one !

It is at Newbury on the K&A.

I'm very puzzled, Google Earth gives me only the fuzziest of images for Newbury, I can't even see the canal on it although I know where to look!

Well done Baron - I thought I would throw everyone off by posting a pic of where I live.

The dutch barge (central) on the lower waterway (Newbury Greenham Mill Stream) is behind my old boat, Andante - 32ft with the green roof and a big square pontoon alongside. And Globetrotter is one boat further to the left at this very moment!

Has anyone else managed to locate their boats on google maps? I have now found Globetrotter too!

Edited by Guest

Well done Baron - I thought I would throw everyone off by posting a pic of where I live.

The dutch barge (central) on the lower waterway (Newbury Greenham Mill Stream) is behind my old boat, Andante - 32ft with the green roof and a big square pontoon alongside. And Globetrotter is one boat further to the left at this very moment!

Has anyone else managed to locate their boats on google maps? I have now found Globetrotter too!

I still can't see Newbury at all on Google Earth. Am I the only one? I'm getting clear pictures elsewhere.

Allan

I don't know whether Google Earth refreshes each time you load it, but more and more of the UK seems to be getting clearer every time I open it. There are still vast tracts of countryside that are blurred, but over Reading into London is clear on my version. The co-ordinates are

51"24"04.13N 1"19"01".85 W if this helps. I first loaded it in August 05, but it connects to the server every time so I assume I am getting the latest pictures. Try refreshing yours.

This is where the Lee and Grand Union meet the Thames

Correct - Limehouse Basin - I wish I had owned and not rented that flat !

This is where the Lee and Grand Union meet the Thames

Correct - Limehouse Basin - I wish I had owned and not rented that flat !

Crikey Allie - this is getting a bit more difficult. No locks, tunnels, basins - just a bend, a 14ft wide aqueduct a lane and some trees......

....That must be the Leeds and Liverpool Canal then, at some very obscure bend at Adlington near Chorley. The boat in the top right is called "Me and Er" and the date was 1-July-2003.

Well Ok I made some of that up but prove me wrong :rolleyes:

Mike

You are, of course, correct about the location. I guess when you hid your answer among the humor, people didn't take it seriously!

Sorry it took me so long to get back online to verify your brilliance. I'm up to my neck in construction planning! (No tunnels involved.)

Allie

I don't know whether Google Earth refreshes each time you load it, but more and more of the UK seems to be getting clearer every time I open it. There are still vast tracts of countryside that are blurred, but over Reading into London is clear on my version.

Maybe it does. I closed it and reopened it and it shows Newbury in all its glory now. Thanks.

Try this one - the canal is a bit small but I just loved the overall pattern. It's not too difficult

Image1.jpg

Rothersthorpe Services on the M1. Think they are called Northampton services now.

It's the branch of the Grand Union that meets the Nene.

Quite so !

I'm surprised the Northampton Arm is running virtually North / South at the point it intersects the M1.

I would never have thought of it that way, until I saw it here!

I still can't see Newbury at all on Google Earth. Am I the only one? I'm getting clear pictures elsewhere.

Google works by streaming all the image to you in "real time" and somtimes it can be a bit slow, and you just have to give it a bit to let it catch up. Espcailly at busy times, and if your on a slow conection.

- Also, somtimes scrolling in/out can help if it "gets stuck"