fishing

Featured Posts

Because i had interrupted there sport, and it seemed only common courtesy to do so.

And will you say sorry for interupting the fisherman who is fishing on the lock holding point, or on the 24 hour moorings, or off the end of your boat? Or the one whose hook gets gaught in your rope? or the one whose catapult fires maggots all over you. Or the one who runs up the towpath and stands by the lock threatening to punch you in the face for going past him (hiding in the undergrowth)? All these things have hapened to me and the last thought in my head was to say sorry for interupting them!! Believe me they won't say sorry to you for disturbing your pastime.

Ah, a man after my own heart. I used to catch eels in the stream round the back of my house. Just put a bit of catfood or rabit guts in a fishing net, waiting for them to come, and then scooped them into a bucket. Brilliant.  :D

Didn't know you could catch decent sized fish in the canal. What kind of thing can you catch, and what bait? etc. ...

meself i used to enjoy a bit of sea fishing mostly on shore but sometimes we would go out to the mersey bar on old harrys boat really it was just to get drunk out of the wayand then one day someone came out with the line that fishing was just a piece of line with a worm on one end and a dickhead on the other i have never gone fishing since that day.gaggle going the pub now :D

I think it was Oscar Wilde, "A fishing rod is a stick with a hook at one end and a fool at the other".

Well, that's an opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. Me, I eat what I catch if it's big enough, if not I carefully put it back (note: put, not throw). I've had big eels, pike, bucketfuls of roach, rudd, etc - get 3-4 of those for a meal, yummy... I got a nice carp once on the Trent and Mersey somewhere.

I'd rather eat a fresh fish I've caught myself than anything murdered at an abbatoir. (though I do eat this stuff too more or less out of necessity :D .)

I've baited with maggots but I prefer sweetcorn (doesn't wriggle in that repulsive way) - and the fish like it too. Alternatively I might use a smallish spinnerbait or similar.

sometimes we would go out to the mersey bar on old harrys boat really it was just to get drunk out of the way

I read that the majority of boat related drownings in the US involved a corpse with a high blood alcohol content and an open fly. I immediately installed a port-a-potty in my fishing boat! :D

• 2 years later...